how to square up mounting holes for closet bolts

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I was just curious.. i still havent taken the toilet out of the box yet.. and i saw last night on the side of the box that they where included.. so given that the pro's here don't really like american standard.. thought they might not be putting good hardware in the box.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I was thinking of replies 4, 5 and 6 of This Thread (Click Here).

The Wolverine Brass tank-to-bowl set that the poster iin that thread mentions isn't sold to non-plumbers by Wolverine, but there are similar ones out there at any good plumbing supply place, or online. Look up Lasco 04-3675 for the kind of thing the posters are discussing.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I don't mean to torture you into spending 5% of the price of the toilet (and 50% more than you spent on paint) on a tank-to-bowl set when the AS one may work just fine. That set I mention might be perceived by some as quality-overkill, but I'm pretty sure that once it is in, there will be no leaks and the tank won't be going anywhere. So one option is of course to check out what's in the box, see if it looks like it's going to work, and have the knowledge of this stuff as a fallback if there's a problem soon or down the road. Also, you can check out Terry's toilet install kit; he has said that he includes the brands that he particularly likes. If for no other reason, you can check it out to see what he uses when installing toilets. It's under shopping, near the bottom of his list of toilets and such.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the supplied hardware is solid brass or SS, it should be fine. If it is plated, it's probably not the best thing to use. And, they probably do not include a second set of nuts and washers which can really help.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
nestork sorry to burst your bubble but there is more than one polymer in the world.

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Two new questions:

1. I'm going to be installing MDF wainscotting on the lower parts of the wall.. thinking I should prime with Killz Latex and then Paint with the Gliden Semi-Gloss in the same color as the ceiling "white on white".. any problems with the semi-gloss?

2. How's the quality of Mancessa Toilets? I have one in my half bath that I will re-do after this main bath is done. I'm running low on funds and I'm thinking about re-using this toilet. It works ok overall I guess, need to plunge every once in awhile, and the tank needs to be rebuilt.. i have the fluid master kit.. just haven't got around to installing it all. Also, a lot of brown (guessing hardwater??) stains in the tank.. is it worth trying to clean it up?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Item 1 isn't in my skill set.

As to item 2, Mansfield is owned by Corona, a Columbia-based company that makes China products. Mansfield makes Mancesa plumbing products, in large part for South American customers but they also sell through some channels in the US. So, think of it as a Mansfield, I guess. Bleach in the tank after the guts are out often helps with the brown, at least in my experience. Lots of people like that Fluidmaster 400A, but I get the sense on here that their flappers are crap; don't know if that flush valve will take a standard Korky flapper. If not, you might think of chucking that Fluidmaster flush valve and getting a Korky flush valve and flapper at Lowe's for about $10. HD has a crappy selection of Korky stuff; it's much more complete at Lowes.

You can get a Toto Drake now in a lot of places for a good price. But with your skills, you can always rehab the toilet you have now and change it out later for a Toto if you want.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Stains in the tank aren't a problem...it can be a problem if it's in the bowl, but only asthetically.

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Its been a while since I was here.. but I finally finished all the small details of the bathroom! 7 months and 19 days from the first hammer blow till now! Yay! at least its done before Halloween!

I forgot all the stuff we talked about but I'll try to give a quicky update.

Toilet - Went in Fine, I bought Tile Drill Bits and drilling the holes for the flange was fine.. just went nice and slow. The flange worked fine. I used an Oatey Wax Ring and the bolts that came with it. The AS wax ring just looked cheap as did their hardware. I couldn't find a bolt set with two nuts, I was going to add my own nuts, but I got it done without it. Also I realized how much adjustment I really had once the porcelain went on.. so I guess my original question how how to square it up was kind of wasted :-D. As far as the quality of the AS Champion 4, I guess I got lucky.. couldn't find any defects other than sticker residue?? (weird).. I cleaned that off with goo-gone. The floor was off level in that area.. so the toilet ended up leaning back a little rather than front.. but it's level side to side, used two of the plastic shims. I'm really impressed with the flush power so far.

Vanity and Sink - Went in pretty easy.. took a little bit of time to find the right mounting points.. I have one toggle bolt, a long deck screw into a stud, and a tapcon into the brick chimney behind it :p Faucet is a $60 Moen from Home depot. It came out of the box with one bad cartridge.. Moen sent me a new one 2nd day air, but still shouldn't have been broken. I used 20" supply lines because the way I measured it, 16 would have just made it.. I didn't know if I had enough room to tighten the nuts. Too bad I couldn't find 18" and I didn't want to mess with the hard lines. They kind of flare out to the sides under there.. but they are out of the way.. so that shouldn't be a problem.

I put a new radiator in and put my heater back together (replaced leaky valves, and a back flow preventor and replumbed).. imagine that.. my fiancee and the dog NEEDED to be warm :p. I have a full pound of solder now.. so that will take a few years to get through. I had about 12" left and it was 9pm, so I knew I had to make it over to Home depot before closing, or else that 12" would surely NOT be enough :p So I also need to get a new torch. The "clicker" on mine doesn't always work. Is this new propane/butane mix stuff they have now worth it? I still have like 3 full tanks of propane it will take me years to go through.. Also.. should I invest in a jet-swet? All you pro-guys can recoil in disgust.. but I have been using shark bites in areas where the pipes have water in them.. I'm just no good in getting the water out before soldering.

After that.. I think everything else is pretty much just details.. but I threw in a picture of my window.. actually a bit proud of how that one came out.. at first I wanted to just picture frame it.. then when the decision about the height of the wainscoting came from the higher authority (my fiancee).. I had already put the sill in.. but in the end I think it probably looks better with the Sill and the bead board.. gives it kind of the older feel.. (what do i know.. she designs it.. I do it :-D ) ... slowly... :-D Hey.. quality work aint cheap or fast! 2012-10-12 23.31.07 (Small).jpg2012-10-12 23.31.32 (Small).jpg2012-10-12 23.31.42 (Small).jpg

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Thanks for the update! It has been fun following your progress, and the final result looks really-nice. Really something to be proud of! Thanks again for sharing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks