switch for two tank pumps control

Users who are viewing this thread

GeneMN

Reaction score
I have a small greenhouse with a two tank cistern--graywater and rainwater with a pump in each tank--and need to switch automatically from the graywater pump when it is nearly empty to the rainwater pump. All I've been able to find are on/off switches; what I need is the equivalent of a three way electrical switch from one circuit to another.

Does such an animal exist? Any help appreciated.

If a moderator is here, will I be emailed if someone replies? Or do I have to keep checking? Thanks.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If your pumps are 120V, a simple 3-way (SPDT) light switch would do it. Common as borscht.

For 240V you would need a DPDT (double pole, double throw). Harder to find.

GeneMN

Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, 120V. That was my first thought, and would be a good solution to do it manually. However, I need it to function on it's own. The circuit is on a timer to control the total amount of water pumped. I need a way to check and empty the graywater tank first, then switch to the rainwater for the rest of the time. When more graywater comes in, it resets to that pump. I thought of making a mechanical Rube Goldberg design using a 3 way switch and a float valve, but this is sketchy. I checked with the plumbing shops locally, and they knew of no such switch.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't get that you wanted "automatic". I see you updated your OP since.

I think you are not likely to find a canned package and will have to make your own from a float switch and a simple DPDT relay. A float switch in the grey water tank as used for a sump pump would work to energize the relay and pump. When the switch opens, the relay falls out and "flops" to the other pump.

A flip flop (AKA latching) version would need energy from one source to flip it and energy from another source to flop it so two floats would be needed; a low limit and a high limit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks