how to remove keep turning Watts connecting hose?

Users who are viewing this thread

young707

Reaction score
Installing a new Lowe's Whirlpool 40gallon Gas water heater.
Small leaks at the cold input hose receptacle at top of tank.

This water heater has 3/4" plastic female receptacle at top of tank.
We use new Watts stainless steel 3/4" MIP to the receptacle (hose by Watts at Home Depot - other end 3/4" FIP 18" length).

When I try to remove this cold water connecting hose, it just turn and turn and will not come out.
What can I do? Thank you.

young707

Reaction score
Watts 3/4" MIP to 3/4" FIP 18" connector hose

Attachments

• DSCN2745.JPG
    DSCN2745.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 452
  • DSCN2749.JPG
    DSCN2749.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 433

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The fitting is metal, the plastic just surrounds it. The connector should not have been screwed into the tank, (you had to screw the fitting on the end, not the crimped connection to get it tight), but since it was, you will have to cut the tubing to get it out and use an extractor on the piece in the heater. To unscrew it you would have to grab the fitting where it is into the tank but you cannot do that.

Last edited:

young707

Reaction score
Are you talking about the problem is with the female plastic receptacle or the stainless steel male hose connector?

what do you mean by fitting? Are you talking about the female receptacle at the top of the heater tank?
No, I remember the tank top receptacle is threaded plastic (not metal).

I think the problem is with the stainless steel male hose connector. Now when I tried to unscrew it, it just keep turning but not coming out. What to do?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Most people when you tell them the truth, and put the resopsablity back on them, choose to replace.

The ONLY tanks with a plastic opening are the "lifetime" all plastic ones. You can see the metal around the stainless steel male portion. I doubt that there is any way to grab the male thread portion and turn it. Turning the hose portion just rotates it in the connection to the metal threaded piece.

young707

Reaction score
this Whirlpool at Lowes' NG 40 gallon water heater tank top has plastic female threaded receptacle.
the GE at Home Depot NG 40 Gallon water heater tank, at top also has exact same plastic female threaded receptacle.
we are returning this to Lowes'.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks