(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backflow Valve Advice

Update:

Thanks to everyone that helped me out with my issue. There in fact was a Backflow valve which was deteriorated and stuck partially open. I was able to find the exact 6" cast iron valve and finally installed it 2 weeks ago. Just in time too because of all the flooding that the storms caused last week here in Illinois. All I have to do is install the new sump pump which I will do on my next day off.

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Sorry I have not been around much. The backflow valve is right under the cover the 2" pipe ties into. This cover needs to be opened and the flapper serviced every year to ensure proper operation. The open pipe is an over flow tee, which is on the house side of the backflow valve. When the city sewer backs up and closes the flapper your water usage from the house over flows from the tee into the pump pit. The pump then pumps this water into the closed side of the valve. During the yearly service check to ensure the pump is working properly as well.

Thanks! I did read some of your previous posts concerning these types of valves. Your posts were extremely helpful. It looks like the previous owner never did any maintenance at all, the flapper was detoriorated and stuck open, the screws were so brittle that they snapped off when i tried to clean them. Thanks again!