(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Leaking Kitchen Aid Fridge Freezer (model KBF S25EVMS3) - plugged drain line.

The company can put out tech bulletins but if the service company does not read them what good are they.The 1st time I saw this problem my 1st reaction was what the heck is this stupid thing. Where is the p-trap? I determined that the rubber they were using seemed like it was turning to a sticky jelly and was never gong to work. I snipped a V into that "duckbill" so there was no chance it would stick together. At that time the fix was a different "duckbill" that was a little longer. Not going to work I thought so I just kept snipping a V in those things. Never a callback on my repair for that problem. Later the bulletin came out with the p-trap fix.Most of the bulletins we get are kind of BS with production changes and so forth so you have to be vigilant and identify the ones that matter. In our shop I read the bulletins and tell the other guys. I am not near as busy because I am the shop guy and part of my duties is to keep up with that stuff.
    Politicians are like diapers. You need to change them often……for the same reason.

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jacobsond - you sir sound like a true pro.

Thanks for all your insights. While working yesterday I also took in some product training from Noble Company. "Going Linear" was the last NTCA training episode and full of "Humorous" content.....

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Blog Entries

A miracle has happened today.

The fridge has been pulled out. Cleaned. And new parts installed. In reviewing the new part over the old I'm still not quite sure how this will fix the problem from happening again. The new drain line has a pTrap and the old was just a slide or chute for water to follow into the evaporation pan.

I'll keep my eye on it and now understand what is involved in the repair.

I think I might pull the fridge out and bleach the evaporation pan soon. Look gross. I might consider raising the sides of the pan if that is easy.

In case it was the reservoir size that had something to do with the problem.

Glad to see it working right. Turned on the wage supply line as well - it will be nice to not to have to make ice anymore.

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

The old part had a rubber nipple they called a duckbill. The small slit in the duckbill took the place of the p-trap letting water out but not air in. The slit in the duckbill is what stuck together causing a clog.With the kit you remove the duckbill and put in a hose with a p-trap. Just like in plumbing water can go out and no air can get back in. That design has worked for plumbing for yrs and on the refrigerators for years also. Some bright engineer thought up that duckbill thing.I hope he does better at his new job because he sure blew this one.
    Politicians are like diapers. You need to change them often……for the same reason.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsond View Post
    The old part had a rubber nipple they called a duckbill. The small slit in the duckbill took the place of the p-trap letting water out but not air in. The slit in the duckbill is what stuck together causing a clog.With the kit you remove the duckbill and put in a hose with a p-trap. Just like in plumbing water can go out and no air can get back in. That design has worked for plumbing for yrs and on the refrigerators for years also. Some bright engineer thought up that duckbill thing.I hope he does better at his new job because he sure blew this one.
    That makes more sense.

I took a load of pictures while helping the repair dude. I'll post a few pictures soon.

Blog Entries

Default The fix - New Factory Part

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsond View Post
    That makes more sense.

I took a load of pictures while helping the repair dude. Here is a couple showing the repair and how it looked before hand.
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 04-07-2014 at 07:59 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Your Welcome DD from Ohio!

Got this email last night from someone called D.D. from Dayton Ohio.

Have a read.....

"Mr. Whipple,
    You, sir, must be a fine individual for your superb posting about Whirlpool freezer flooding. I greatly appreciate your updates, photos and thorough descriptions. With that in hand, I have completed the temporary snipping of the duckbill and will promptly order the replacement part. The photos were a huge help.
    Thank you.
    May fine health and happiness come your way."

D.D.
    Dayton Ohio US

Glad I could help. Who knew that a thread about my crappy leaking fridge and a joke thread about SEO services would be so popular!!!!

Blog Entries

Default Leaking Kitchen Aid Fridge Freezer : Toronto Canada : 2 years old

So I got some more fan mail over this Kitchen Aid Discussion. Have a read.

Hi John,

Thanks a lot for your posts and information about Kitchenaid leaking problem. I have the similar model and found the exact same leaking problem 2 weeks ago, and my refrigerator is only 2 years old, I brought it from Sears when I moved in my new house in 2012, and I live in Toronto. After I searched it online including your posts, I called Kitchenaid Canada and asked them what they can do about it for a goodwill and they said they won't charge for parts but I have to pay service which is $81 for check and $19 for every 15 minutes for repair, which is still not fair to customer as this problem is totally by Kitchenaid design fault. As I don't have enough time to fight with them over the phone, I searched the part's number with your kind post and bought yesterday and replaced it this morning. With your great helpful posts and other online information, the job is not too hard too complete, and saved lots of time fighting with Kitchenaid and possible time wasting on service guy if not good. Big Thanks again!

But I still think that Kichenaid should take more responsibility and actions on this, as I'm not sure I will buy any Kitchenaid product again and I'll share this story with people around me. I might look for any government Consumer department to report this.

Oliver

I would have to agree with this fellow from Toronto. I do not think it's fair to pay to have your fridge fixed when the fault is in the design. The Duck Bill design is in many of the Kitchen Aid fridge's I think. Anyone with this type of defrost fitting should consider their kitchen aid fridge to be a ticking time bomb.

I sh*t canned a farily new Kitchen Aids dishwasher about 10 years ago - cause of water leaks. They spend a lot of money in marketing the brand. Should spend more on engineering.

I now call it Kitchen Aids
    If a hammer won't fix it, it's an electrical problem.

The good thing about Sears service, is that you can pay to keep your junk appliance working, or get a new one.

Service Contracts can be your friend, but you pay for it.

Most appliances are only designed to last for 5 years Max, Now a days.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Default Glad I found this thread: our KA fridge-freezer has just started leaking!

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    The good thing about Sears service, is that you can pay to keep your junk appliance working, or get a new one.

Service Contracts can be your friend, but you pay for it.

Most appliances are only designed to last for 5 years Max, Now a days.
    We also bought our KitchenAid fridge-freezer from Sears, here in Olympia WA, but didn't buy the extended service warranty for the extra five (or whatever it was) years. The warranty from our February 2010 purchase has run out, just in time for this leaking freezer problem to present itself.

Neither DH nor I are exactly clueless in DIY, but I've never attempted even pull this huge appliance out from the wall, never mind open bits of it up. For some reason, I couldn't see the photos showing How To in the earlier post. If I order the part, should I just bite the bullet and call Sears to come install it at however much $$? Any advice welcome!

Blog Entries

Sorry Jeannie.

I have moved some picture files around a couple weeks back. I think the pictures I took got deleted. I found copies on my blog post but can't get the url for some reason???

Original Post here: http://no-curb.blogspot.ca/2013/12/f...id-fridge.html
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 04-07-2014 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieOLY View Post
    We also bought our KitchenAid fridge-freezer from Sears, here in Olympia WA, but didn't buy the extended service warranty for the extra five (or whatever it was) years. The warranty from our February 2010 purchase has run out, just in time for this leaking freezer problem to present itself.

Neither DH nor I are exactly clueless in DIY, but I've never attempted even pull this huge appliance out from the wall, never mind open bits of it up. For some reason, I couldn't see the photos showing How To in the earlier post. If I order the part, should I just bite the bullet and call Sears to come install it at however much $$? Any advice welcome!

You may want to give Sears a call and see what they can do for you.

You do not need the extended service contract, If the unit had a Recall Sears gets some credit for repairing it.

You may need to pay for the trip call. Some Recall repair only covers Shop repair, and may not include trip time.

The Service Manager would be the one that could help you.

Sears may not install a part that you supply, They may need to provide it.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by DonL; 04-07-2014 at 02:49 AM.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net