(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Leaking Kitchen Aid Fridge Freezer (model KBF S25EVMS3) - plugged drain line.

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by viclee1117 View Post
    I have the same problem and its very fustrating and I have woods floors also. How did you turn off the water? I do not want to use it anymore cause when the ice cubes fall on he bottom (which is all the time) they melt and water literally pours onto the floor so I would rather not even use the ice maker anymore.
    We thought it was ice at first as well but it was the crappy fridge. You need to back off the levelling feet in the front and roll the fridge out. The turn off the water supply. If you are lucky the shut off for the water is somewhere else other than behind the fridge - look for an access panel somewhere close to the fridge first before moving the fridge out.

NEWS UPDATE

KITCHEN AID HAS REDESIGNED THE DRAIN TUBE - PLEASE JUMP TO PAGE 5 TO FIND OUT MORE
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 01-20-2014 at 06:40 AM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Years ago I had an Admiral side by side that leaked right after the warranty was up. A friend told me to look at the drain tube, and sure enough it was plugged by some paper from the factory.
    Fast forward, last year my Hotpoint leaked. A quick look at the drain line and sure enough it was plugged too with some debris.
    I assume that during assembly, careless workers cause these things to eventually cause a leak. low quality control? sabotage? frustration? low pay? who knows.

John, you don't need to install a floor drain, that's absurd. Just keep the back of the fridge clean and watch for ice build up - a sign of water in the wrong place. Regarding what your repairman said about this happening every 2-3 years - it's not a rule.

Years ago I had an Admiral side by side that leaked right after the warranty was up. A friend told me to look at the drain tube, and sure enough it was plugged by some paper from the factory.
    Fast forward, last year my Hotpoint leaked. A quick look at the drain line and sure enough it was plugged too with some debris.
    I assume that during assembly, careless workers cause these things to eventually cause a leak. low quality control? sabotage? frustration? low pay? who knows.

John, you don't need to install a floor drain, that's absurd. Just keep the back of the fridge clean and watch for ice build up - a sign of water in the wrong place. Regarding what your repairman said about this happening every 2-3 years - it's not a rule.
    Last edited by dj2; 08-18-2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: duplicate

Blog Entries

Default The Never Ending Leak Issue with my Kitchen Aid Fridge Freezer

So the other day we had more water leaking out of the world's crappiest fridge. This Kitchen Aid Fridge sucks.

This leak was only 11 months after we paid to have it fixed. Not sure I want to have to pull out a fridge and check it every 6-9 months.

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrwhipple View Post
    So the other day we had more water leaking out of the world's crappiest fridge. This Kitchen Aid Fridge sucks.

This leak was only 11 months after we paid to have it fixed. Not sure I want to have to pull out a fridge and check it every 6-9 months.

Very disappointing, John!

If this is your condensate drain line freezing up, and there is no debris causing this to happen, I have read on some of the appliance forums that some techs will wrap copper wire around the defrost coils and run the wire down the drain a little ways - that way every time the fridge does a defrost cycle it melts any ice build up. I think I have seen some actual repair kits that use this principle in one of the appliance repair parts sites.

Is your drain pan full ?

Many designs have a removable drain pan behind the front kick plate. The compressor and condenser are in the bottom.

The small drain pain will hold water temporarily during defrost, then the condenser heat and fan evaporate the water.

If you have a spill inside the pan will fill up, and the water does not have time to evaporate before the next defrost cycle.

Or you can have blocked airflow, that can cause the same problem.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by DonL; 08-25-2013 at 11:08 AM.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    There is usually a drain in the freezer ( necessary because of course the freezer defrosts itself periodically.) That line takes the water to a pan located under the condenser coil/compressor area. The heat from those items evaporates the water. Your line is plugged...a fairly common problem. You need to find the line....starts somewhere on the floor of the freezer...and blow it out. Or it may have an ice clog in it.

I did not see this post jimbo, until I posted.

Yes, What jimbo said.

Blog Entries

Thanks Guys.

It appears that regular cleaning is a must for this leaking fridge.....

Blog Entries

Default Thousands of people looking for help with their leaking Kitchen Aid Fridge Freezer

You know what I find so interesting is look at the volume of views this discussion is getting. It's the most traffic I've seen for a long time in such a short time line. There must be thousands of people in the same boat. Not a good sign.

I still like the idea of the back of linear shower drain....

You know what I find so interesting is look at the volume of views this discussion is getting. It's the most traffic I've seen for a long time in such a short time line. There must be thousands of people in the same boat. Not a good sign.

I still like the idea of the back of linear shower drain....

You should design one and become rich.

Great Idea.

A related problem that refrigerator designers face is how to deliver liquid water to the icemaker without the water freezing in the supply tube. This used to happen with my old Frigidaire. The engineers redesigned the water supply tube to be open at the top and for some reason that seemed to allow the water to quickly flow into the icemaker and not stay in the tube long enough to freeze.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    A related problem that refrigerator designers face is how to deliver liquid water to the icemaker without the water freezing in the supply tube. This used to happen with my old Frigidaire. The engineers redesigned the water supply tube to be open at the top and for some reason that seemed to allow the water to quickly flow into the icemaker and not stay in the tube long enough to freeze.
    Steve I have disconnected the water to the fridge. There is no water supply - this crappy fridge leaks by itself.

Steve I have disconnected the water to the fridge. There is no water supply - this crappy fridge leaks by itself.

Yep, that is condensate water for sure!

Your coils, like mine and everyone else's, accumulate a layer of frost on them every day. Every 24 hours or so your fridge runs a heating element next to your evaporator coils in the freezer, to melt off that layer of frost. This condensate water drips into the tray and (in theory at least) down a plastic tube to a pan at the bottom of your fridge near the compressor, where it evaporates. Something wrong in the plumbing between the plastic tray under your evaporator coils, and the water pan at the bottom.

You are absolutely right, John, that your unit seems to have a crappy design. You really shouldn't have to do anything to keep that system from leaking.

Blog Entries

Default World's Worst Fridge - Kitchen Aid KBF S25EVMS3

I had a soccer rally at my place last week and one of the parents is a friend/client of mine that does custom builds. I showed him our leaking fridge and he told me that it is for this reason he specifies commercial fridges in his builds. I defrosted the inside and manage to rig up this tiny hose attachment to clean some of the coils below the fridge that had dust on them.

I did not find it funny that the design of these coils is such that you can only easily clean 25% of the surface area.

With every month I dislike this fridge more and more.

"With every month I dislike this fridge more and more."

I swear your wrench is getting larger with every post...

You know what I would do? mitigate my losses, and replace the fridge.