(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Leaking Kitchen Aid Fridge Freezer (model KBF S25EVMS3) - plugged drain line.

I have exact same problem on same model of Fridge, in my case, I suspect it is because I didn't tilt the fridge backward a little bit, as when I roll out the fridge to clean the dust, I unscrew the legs in the front but when I move it back, I didn't screw it up again to make it tilt.... so the fridge leak the water on the front left side instead of at the back dripping pan....

so I just screw up and hopefully the problem resolved....

the guy who charge you $140 could have done that too.....because I don't think the drain hole can be plugged easily for this model.

I have a 13 year old Whirlpool with an ice maker. Never have had an issue like you describe. The water from the auto defrost goes into a pan underneath and evaporates. There must be a line coming from the freezer portion to the pan that is plugged or kinked somehow. As a side note, most of us replace the saddle valve with a ball valve adapted to copper tubing.

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Swart View Post
    I have a 13 year old Whirlpool with an ice maker. Never have had an issue like you describe. The water from the auto defrost goes into a pan underneath and evaporates. There must be a line coming from the freezer portion to the pan that is plugged or kinked somehow. As a side note, most of us replace the saddle valve with a ball valve adapted to copper tubing.
    Thanks Gary. The first time this crappy fridge leaked it was the saddle valve that failed - I was reading and following the instructions and they where clear "Must use a saddle valve". The fridge is a piece of junk. We just make Ice the old fashion way now. Not taking any chance with Kitchen Aid. Will never buy another again. JW

NEWS UPDATE

KITCHEN AID HAS REDESIGNED THE DRAIN TUBE - PLEASE JUMP TO PAGE 5 TO FIND OUT MORE
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 01-20-2014 at 06:39 AM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

1. I have had exactly the same problem with a clogged drain line in a 15 year old Kenmore fridge. Basically a moldy dust ball plugging up the funnel that collects water from the coils after a defrost cycle. Cleaned it out easily and no more trouble for last 2 years.

2. RE: icemaker reliability: look at current issue Consumer Reports. They divide refrigerators into 2 classes for their reliability tables: those with icemakers and those without. Guess which group has by far the most trouble?

I have fiddled around with the icemaker in my Frigidaire many times to nurse it along until finally replacing the whole kit and caboodle last year. Good news is that it is a very easy swap and you can buy replacement icemakers pretty cheap (at least for my model) on the web.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    1. I have had exactly the same problem with a clogged drain line in a 15 year old Kenmore fridge. Basically a moldy dust ball plugging up the funnel that collects water from the coils after a defrost cycle. Cleaned it out easily and no more trouble for last 2 years.

2. RE: icemaker reliability: look at current issue Consumer Reports. They divide refrigerators into 2 classes for their reliability tables: those with icemakers and those without. Guess which group has by far the most trouble?

I have fiddled around with the icemaker in my Frigidaire many times to nurse it along until finally replacing the whole kit and caboodle last year. Good news is that it is a very easy swap and you can buy replacement icemakers pretty cheap (at least for my model) on the web.

Thanks Steve. My fridge was not even two years old. You would think a brand new fridge could last more than a few years before leaking out and staining the hardwood floors. Lucky for me my hardwood was actually plywood! But still. Brand new. Really???

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

That would be extremely annoying to say the least!
    This is a bad design. I don't recall ever seeing anything in a refrigerator owner's manual about the need to clean out the drain system. Not that easy to do for a DIY'er either -- you have to take off some of the plastic panels in the fridge

Your defrost drain was plugged. The design on this fridge is poor IMHO using what they call a duckbill type design. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDeta...309238/1937679
    The “new” design on is not much better than the old design. Instead of using a P type trap they use a little rubber grommet with a slit in the bottom to let the defrost water out. Well it plugs. I usually cut the slit open a little wider to get better water flow but that will let more moist warm air into the freezer so it may frost up more. To get to the grommet you take the back off the fridge look for where the drain comes out remove the grommet and clean/replace. Then use a hair dryer to melt the ice buildup in the drain pan under the coils in the freezer. I hope they come up with a hose with a trap as a fix on their next attempt. The new design plugs just as easy as the old. As far as sears goes Ill keep most of my comments to my self because they are not good in this area. 7 day wait to get the service to your home then 7more days when a part needs to be ordered. So usually around here a 14-30 day repair time is not unusual.Don't get your appliances from a lumber yard either.The lumberyard doesn't have service people. Our store sells and services. You can actually talk to me the serviceman. In our small store our customers are also our friends.
    Politicians are like diapers. You need to change them often……for the same reason.

Blog Entries

Default The never ending leaking Kitchen Aid Fridge Freezer - Model # S25EVMS3

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsond View Post
    Your defrost drain was plugged. The design on this fridge is poor IMHO using what they call a duckbill type design. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDeta...309238/1937679
    The “new” design on is not much better than the old design. Instead of using a P type trap they use a little rubber grommet with a slit in the bottom to let the defrost water out. Well it plugs. I usually cut the slit open a little wider to get better water flow but that will let more moist warm air into the freezer so it may frost up more. To get to the grommet you take the back off the fridge look for where the drain comes out remove the grommet and clean/replace. Then use a hair dryer to melt the ice buildup in the drain pan under the coils in the freezer. I hope they come up with a hose with a trap as a fix on their next attempt. The new design plugs just as easy as the old. As far as sears goes Ill keep most of my comments to my self because they are not good in this area. 7 day wait to get the service to your home then 7more days when a part needs to be ordered. So usually around here a 14-30 day repair time is not unusual.Don't get your appliances from a lumber yard either.The lumberyard doesn't have service people. Our store sells and services. You can actually talk to me the serviceman. In our small store our customers are also our friends.
    Jacob I build showers for a living. I waterproof and vapour proof. The fact that a new fridge less than three years can leak and flood out a kitchen floor is alarming to me. The fridge sucks and is the worst fridge I have ever seen. The water line is turned off - I'm taking no chances with this piece of ####.

We had is serviced and I refused to give it water. With the fridge serviced (nice repair bill - Thanks Kitchen Aid) and the ice maker in the off position it regulary trys and draw water or makes some weird noise. It's a daily reminder of what a piece of crap it is. A daily "Slap in the Face" if you will.

The whole experience has led me to inform all my clients that fridges should be purchased without this water and ice feature. That and the filters are so over priced. We live in Vancouver - our tap water is great. If I want cold water I can run the tap for a few seconds.

Sorry your having so many problems. I fix them don't build them so like many things quality has gone down because in the USA we shop price not quality. Fridges flooding is rare but can happen. The flimsy supply lines can crack water valves can stick open. It doesn't happen a lot but it happens. The saddle valve failure is unfortunate but not the fault of the fridge it is the fault of the valve manufacture or the installer or both/neither. I know the saddle valve did not come with the fridge. It is purchased separate. We sell water line kits all the time. Install them and have no issues.We always recommend the customer have a plumber install a "real" valve but there we are again with cost. Now back to the defrost drain there is less than 1/4 cup of water produced.When the drain plugs usually the bottom of the freezer gets iced up and if it goes unnoticed a small puddle of water develops in front of the freezer. Like any leak if its caught right away little or no damage. The design on your fridge gives more trouble others but plugged defrost drain can happen with all models and brands. I for one wont give up my ice and water just like I wont give up the dishwasher and cloths washer just because of the potential for a leak.
    Last edited by jacobsond; 06-01-2013 at 09:56 AM. Reason: content
    Politicians are like diapers. You need to change them often……for the same reason.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsond View Post
    ...We always recommend the customer have a plumber install a "real" valve but there we are again with cost...
    Great advice. Do the manufactures pay for repairs if this causes a problem? I wonder why the manufacture does not list this as an option???

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrwhipple View Post
    Great advice. Do the manufactures pay for repairs if this causes a problem? I wonder why the manufacture does not list this as an option???
    OK, so last night my wife points out to me that the floor is wet behind our Kenmore elite fridge (made by LG); I pull the fridge out away from the wall and see something I had to look at more than once to believe. I guess it is good that the leak is not from the fridge condensate itself. The 1/4" copper line I ran between the fridge and the little ballvalve I put in a few years ago, sprang a leak within the area where I curled it into an about a 5 inch diameter loop. It must have weeping for at least a little while because it had scaled over with some green oxide crust. when I scraped off the crust with my finger nail, it started dripping about 1 drop per 20 seconds. When I formed that loop a couple of years ago, i was careful not to kink the tubing, which was very soft and made the loop with enough length so the fridge could be pulled away from the wall when necessary. I guess the last time I moved the fridge was a while ago judging by the dust bunny population. Must have been a factory defect in some Chinese made tubing? Going to replace it this afternoon and inspect the bad area with an eye loupe.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

Blog Entries

Bob I think we need to build shower pans for these new fridge installations. Maybe I'll rig up the ACO flanged drain into thehardwood and install Kerdi, Noble or 8+9 under the fridge! What a joke.

NExt fridge will not have any water or ice option - that is for sure!!!

Default same problem

[
    QUOTE=johnfrwhipple;354593]If this is a common problem then I am going to start informing the builders I work with that I have another plan. My wife this morning has green lighted operation Fridge drain line!

JW[/QUOTE]
    I have the same problem and its very fustrating and I have woods floors also. How did you turn off the water? I do not want to use it anymore cause when the ice cubes fall on he bottom (which is all the time) they melt and water literally pours onto the floor so I would rather not even use the ice maker anymore.

I have the same problem and its very fustrating and I have woods floors also. How did you turn off the water? I do not want to use it anymore cause when the ice cubes fall on he bottom (which is all the time) they melt and water literally pours onto the floor so I would rather not even use the ice maker anymore.