Pump/Tank problem PLEASE help

Users who are viewing this thread

wpage1979

Reaction score
My water pump went out a week ago, and I had an old one out in the barn, so I hooked it up. After I hooked up the pump, I noticed that my pressure tank was leaking, so I bought a new pressure tank. When I first hooked everything back up, I had great water pressure, everything was running smooth, for about 30 minutes anyway. After I took a shower, I noticed I barely had any water coming out of my faucet and the pump was running non-stop. I shook the pipe down in the well, and it built back up prime and shut off. Now, I can get the pump to prime, and to hold prime as long as I do not turn on any water. When I turn on the water,it comes out good until the water level in the pump goes down, then the water just trickles out. The pump will not shut back off unless I turn off the water and shake the pipe that goes down into the well. The plate on my well says the well is 40 feet. I measured the water level in the well, it is 12 feet deep, and my foot valve is 5 feet off of the bottom, and down about 7 feet past the top of the water. Any ideas here? I havent had water in a week, and I, nor anyone I have talked to has any idea what could be going on.

wpage1979

Reaction score
I took the pump housing off and cleaned the propeller and inside the housing. When I put it back together, I made sure all of my fittings and clamps were tight. It worked good untill I took a shower, now, I am having the same problem. I put a pressure gauge on the pump, and when it primes up and the pump shuts off, it holds steady at 20 lbs, once I turn on the water, the water comes out like it should and the pump turns on like it should, but the water is still just trickling out. Where could I have a suction problem at if I have tightened all of my fittings? Thank you for taking the time to help me get my issure resolved.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If you have plastic fittings, they can leak under suction but yet hold pressure just fine. Frustrating eh? As the water level drops in the well from heavy use, the pump needs to suck harder. That is when suction leaks often happen.

Did you find and clean the jet as well? It is the small hole in front of the venturi.

wpage1979

Reaction score
Yes, I think so anyway. I cleaned every hole and crevice I saw. I only have 2 plastic fittings, one connecting the foot valve to the pipe coming out of the well, and one on the top side, where the house lines hook up. Could it just be the pump is worn out? It works up untill the pressure gets up to 20 pounds or so, then it stops pulling water. I can sit in there and shake the pipe and get it to the shut-off pressure (40 psi) but own its own, it wont go higher than 20 before all the piping gets HOT and it just runs continuously.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Pumps don't build the pressure, the venturi does! You may have two problems, 1) a suction leak some where in the suction line and 2) something is plugging the nozzle in the jet assembly. Locate the jet assembly and clean out the 1/4 inch hole in the nozzle and you will have pressure again!

wpage1979

Reaction score
You guys ROCK!! Thank you so much for the help. I took the pump back apart and puled the venturi tube out and cleaned it as well as the nozzel. After hooking the pump back up, I found a leak on the suction side, which I didnt notice before because of the lack of pressure from the stopped up venturi tube, fixed it, now I have a pump that works as it should, and more water pressure than ever before. Thank you so much for the advice!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks