water still dirty a week after new pump replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

kmlowe

Reaction score
I had to have my old submersible pump replaced a week ago. They upgraded from a 3/4 HP to 1 HP because our well was so deep at 500ft. After he was done, he connected the hose to the pressure tank and ran it for awhile and also put some clorine tablets down the well. He told me to run the hose outside for 15 minutes, then off for 15 minutes for two hours. I did it for three. We are still having to remove the screens on our faucets every couple of days due to too much sediment, the water is a tea color, and it still smells like chlorine. How long should I expect this to continue? Is it possible the pump is too close to the bottom of the well? They didn't actually check how far down the well went, they just went by the amount of pipe that was pulled out. But since the 3/4 HP they pulled out was not the right one, couldn't it also be that the pump was too far down in the first place? Especially if they got a more powerful pump? Any info would be appreciated-out $4000 and still drinking bottled water. Thanks.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
When I built my home in '98 and had my well put in, the driller used a small 5 GPM pump to supposedly "develop" the well and then sold me a 10 GPM pump. The higher GPM drew in sediment because the well was never developed for the higher GPM. It also filled the casing with sediment and raising the pump didn't help as the sediment just came up higher. I had to get the driller back to flush out the sediment and put in some gravel.

You may have to run water faster and longer. If you have another hosebib, try running both of them. I would think that at the price you paid, the guy should come back and assess the situation and offer remedies. He may need to pull the pump and blow the well. He may need to overpump it to develop it for the higher GPM. He may end up putting in a dole valve to throttle back the GPM if the well continues to make sediment.

Do you have the original well record that describes the formation and total depth? If not, you may be able to get it from your County AHJ.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you can still smell chlorine, you have not pumped the well enough. Just pulling and setting can stir things up. Run enough faucets to keep the pressure low and keep pumping. If it is not cleaning up in a couple of days, then we will look for something else.

kmlowe

Reaction score
thanks for the suggestions-i am going to open the faucets and run on and off throughout the day. Also going to contact the county to see if there's a well log for my property-maybe that will shed more light on the situation.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Knowing the formation and static water level may help in deciding on a course of action. Also, what is the well bore/casing diameter?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks