Pfister or American Standard 2 handle shower valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Shelly

Reaction score
I am tearing out tile and replacing 1953 Crane shower valves, because they are leaking. I have decided to go with the 2 handle. I know they are considered dinosaurs and they have code issues, so there are not many choices. My final choices are a (chrome) pfister or an (brushed nickel) American Standard. I am ordering from an online co. I am having a professional do the installation. Is there a difference in quality between the two companies? I have Dornbracht and Grohe throughout my house and have had some trouble with both products in the last 16 years. Thank you! I appreciate your thoughts.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
At this point, I would say no difference between Pfister Faucet Brand and Mexican American Standard.

If your inspector deems that the scope of work is a remodel, you will not be allowed to install a two handle.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Good luck getting parts in the future if you install a non-code two handle. What you are buying is old stock. Parts are drying up.
You have the tile out, and you will never find a better time to buy a non-scalding or temperature dropping pressure balanced valve that will still have parts in the future. Two handles? really? It has to be at least twenty years since I've installed a two handle valve.

Last edited:

Shelly

Reaction score
Thank you Terry and jimbo! That is the exact problem I am having now....no crane parts for a single valve after 60 yrs. So, I am probably being dumb, but I like the 2 handles and all of the showers in the rest of the house have 2 handles. This is not a remodel. It's a plumbing repair. The bathroom is very '50's vintage. I needed your thoughts on the two companies, because as you said, they are being discontinued by most companies. Kohler still makes a few too. So, I wasn't sure what my less of all evils was. My plumber likes Pfister. But, they seem so cheap.Thank you very much for wishing me luck! I need it....The tile is coming out as I write:eek: Shelly

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are pressure balance valves that can be plumbed in to make a traditional 2-handle shower code complient...it's all in the wall. There are also some pressure balanced valves that have separate temperature and volume controls - effectively giving you two handles, but not hot cold, but temp/volume. Young and old people are more prone to scald induced problems, and from a code issue and eventual resale, it makes a lot of sense to become complient now, rather than when you may want to sell the house and have to tear things apart.

whoisville

Reaction score
I am having a problem with an older Price Pfister setup just like you have described here, two-handle separate temp/volume controls, it's gone cold on me. I can feel that hot water is getting to the temp side, so I think the balancing spool/valve must be bad but I can't find a part number anywhere. If you happen to know a good source, I would really appreciate it, along with any tips. Getting away from two handles would be very expensive at this point, thanks in advance!

IMG_1137[3].jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Without a parts breakdown it is hard to tell for sure, but that LOOKS like the carridge from a single handle faucet, which would also perform the on/off functions. Call 1-800-PFAUCET and ask for information regarding Model 0X2-110A. As far as 2 handles faucets in general, I doubt that the parts for the Pfister 2 handle will get scarce any time in the foreseeable future.

pp_07_shower.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks