Cleanout and underslab bath drains

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt Cole

Reaction score
I'm getting a start on laying out our basement bathroom that our inept builder attempted to stub out....

There are several tasks that I am thinking are the correct moves and I want to clarify/confirm that I'm thinking straight before calling the inspector multiple times to check over my work...

I'm attaching photos to show the current situation:

1. Shower/Tub drain was locaded nowhere near any usable location. Spacing between wall, required 6" framing and toilet stubout will really only fit a tub (which we are ok with). I've cut out the floor to start moving that drain. Once I get things plumbed back up do you generally leave the trap area under the tub drain opened or concrete the floor closed again. Obviouly there will be some fill and concrete requried under the tub location. floor2.jpg

2. Current stack location just barely will allow the tub to fit in the corner, the cleanout will be difficult if not impossible to access, can I replace the cleanout with a sweep wye View attachment wye.bmp and then extend into what will be a closet by about 2' then a 90 degree sweep out into the closet with a cleanout plug?stack.jpg

3. Plan on utalizing what I think is a "wet vent" for the sink, tying into the current 2" vent that is along the back wall. Do I need to run additional venting from behind the sink (will be on a new wall to the right to the existing vent line (min 6" above the sink level, more like 4' above the sink level).floor1.jpg

4. For your viewing pleasure, using my x-ray vision (or better yet pre slab pour photos) what is under the slab now for your comments.... underfloor.jpg.

What am I missing. It all seems pretty straightforward to my non initiated eyes. I'm the do it yourself kind of guy, but I also want it done right and if I'm missing something major, I'm more than willing to hire it out....

Thanks for your help everyone.

Matt

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If that large pipe at the rear wall is the toilet, then the shower/tub is not vented and maybe not trapped. What is the small pipe next to the large one?.

Matt Cole

Reaction score
If that large pipe at the rear wall is the toilet, then the shower/tub is not vented and maybe not trapped. What is the small pipe next to the large one?.

Yes the Large pipe at the rear is the toilet, no the tub is not trapped at this point. it is connected between the toilet and the vent line. The small pipe next to the large one is a floor drain coming in from under the footing from the other side of the concrete wall, not involved with the bathroom.

So I can't consider the wet vent from the sink (the pipe up the back vertical wall) to vent the tub, toilet and sink in this group and need to run another vent off of the tub line once I extend it?

Would the tub need to be connected downstream of the existing vent to be legal?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I'm thinking straight before calling the inspector multiple times to check over my work...

Here, you only get to call him twice. After that you pay for each additonal inspection. And, it is not cheap.

As soon as the tub was connected to the toilet line between the toilet and the vent, it required its own vent. Where you connect the tub is immaterial as long is its vent is in the pipe between the trap and its connection to the main system. You did not say what that smaller line is next to the toilet pipe, or where it is connected.

Last edited:

Matt Cole

Reaction score
quote; I'm thinking straight before calling the inspector multiple times to check over my work...
Here, you only get to call him twice. After that you pay for each additonal inspection. And, it is not cheap.

As soon as the tub was connected to the toilet line between the toilet and the vent, it required its own vent. Where you connect the tub is immaterial as long is its vent is in the pipe between the trap and its connection to the main system. You did not say what that smaller line is next to the toilet pipe, or where it is connected.

underfloor color.jpg

So if I run the tub drain (Red Line) with new trap and run a new vent (green line) to the celeing and connect to existing vent line (not stack) I should be set.

Orange line (what I think you are refering to small pipe) is for an underfloor drain on the other side of the concrete wall and foundation) Not relevant to the bathroom.

Blue is the wet vent sink connection (2" pipe to where sink would connect then 1 1/2" vent above that.

Brown is 3" toilet line.

What about extending the cleanout to the side with a sweep wye (not in this pic but above post)?

Thanks for all the help so far. I really appreciate it!

Matt

Attachments

• underfloor color.jpg
    underfloor color.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 839

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As long as the tub vert is NOT horizontal, but the pipe should pass under a wall where it could go vertical from the drain line. The cleanout will work if you use a "combo" fitting to make the offset.

Matt Cole

Reaction score
As long as the tub vert is NOT horizontal, but the pipe should pass under a wall where it could go vertical from the drain line. The cleanout will work if you use a "combo" fitting to make the offset.

Yes the plan is to come off of the tub drain at a 45 degree "up" angle run with a SanT to wall on left of picture, run vertical up wall parallel to the waste stack and then work it over at the ceiling to the existing venting lines (that starts off of the sink on the back wall). No waste down the vents on the 2 stories above and I believe (I’ll confirm with my other build photos) that all the vents connect well above the flood levels of the fixtures.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks