shallow vs deep pump and sustained output

Users who are viewing this thread

nebe

Reaction score
i have an old well about 40 feet deep, the water ls about 15 feet down. The well has a 2 foot diameter. If i install a shallow well pump, my understanding is that i should be able to pump out ~ 10 feet of water in the column. After that, the ability to pump will be limited by the rate the well refreshes. I i install a deep well pump then i should be able to pump roughly 25 feet of water in the column (i.e., near to the bottom) and after that the ability of pumping will be limited by the rate the well refreshes.

My question:

After the initial pull, will a deep pump be able to provide any greater sustained output than a shallow well pump? OR Will they both have the same sustained output?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
After the initial pull, will a deep pump be able to provide any greater sustained output than a shallow well pump? OR Will they both have the same sulstained output?

Neither will do as much with as little horsepower as a submersible. You have a 24” diameter well. Throw a submersible in at 39’ and be able to utilize as much water as the well will produce, not just as much as your pump will let you have. The sub will be much less problem.

nebe

Reaction score
thanks for the response. I guess my question is whether each are more or less producing as much as the well will produce. i.e., is the refresh rate constant at different depths?
I have a shallow pump and an able to drain the well down to 25 feet in about an hour. So currently I have the pump running on 1 hour, off 4 hours on 1 hour off 4 etc.
If i put a submersible in instead i am wonder whther it will make a substantial difference in the amount i can pump each day or whether the refresh rate is constant and i will end up with about the same over a 24 hour period.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You won’t know how much the well will make until you test it. And with a Shallow well pump you only know how much the well will make at 25’, because that is as deep as that pump can lift. If you add the deep well kit, then you can lift from 40’. How much you can lift depends on the size of pump. But it will certainly pump more than a shallow well set up with a limit of 25’.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You won’t know how much the well will make until you test it.

Exactly. It seems plausible that if you draw down the level further, that there will be more pressure differential at the bottom of the well and through the sides if porous. This is often evidenced by sediment getting stirred up if a well is drawn heavily.

The reality however is that it depends on the formation of the aquifer. When the well is drawn from a cone of depression may form in the aquifer and the porosity of this aquifer will determine the recovery rate. Wells are often developed by heavy pumping and/or surging to open up the aquifer.

cone-of-depression.gif

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks