(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice for iron filter

Quote Originally Posted by ditttohead View Post
    It is not "certain Californian towns" that have recently banned softeners. Many municipalities in many states have enacted similar bans on softeners and other household components in order to lessen the loads that the wastewater treatment plants have to treat.

There have been commercial softening equipment bans for many decades and these are now tricking down to the residential market, the residential issues are the ones that you are aware of since these make the headlines. Try to stop looking for or creating contreversy where it doesnt exist.
    There are very few California towns that have banned softeners.

You say there are Many municipalities in many states.... name the states.

Have any states banned softeners outside the town line, on private wells?

And yes I know about exchange tank dealer problems and the volume of salt they used. I guess it was more than what individual softener owners would have used had they bought a softener rather than renting an exchange softener huh.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Google?

Michigan, California, Texas, Connecticut, Massachusettes, ... it is not that difficult. Brine discharge, and almost any High TDS water discharge in to the sewer system is banned in the San Bernardino and Riverside counties for all commercial applications as well as the counties of LA, Orange, San Diego, etc.. all have area specific bans depending on the waste treatment plants ability to treat the water and their outfall. Variances are allowed for businesses that can tie into the SARI line. I have worked with many businesses to determine the cost feasability of connecting into theis line, as well as brine concentration and transport to SARI line truck dump stations.

I am not understanding where you are going with this line of questioning

Oh, almost forgot, yes, many places have banned softener discharge into septic systems.

My original comment was that as an industry we need to promote efficiencies in all ways, this would go a long way to preventing, or postponing many of the bans that are in the works.

Hope this helps

I am remembering an entire thread on water efficiency that I started that got locked because someone did not agree with the topic. LOL
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Where I'm going.... I am going to rein you in from your all inclusive statements in a DIYer forum where you seem to think you are going to change the behavior of water treatment dealers across the country. It seems to me you must think there are sufficient numbers of dealers here that you would spend you time at that.

Another thing is that you confuse things by including commercial/industrial when the OP is an individual residential type and not involved in commercial etc. regs. Many of them are on their own private well and septic. Now you go on about bans against softener discharge into private septic systems and make it sound as if it is wide spread. You just did the same by listing some states where I guess you think "many municipalities" have banned softeners due to chlorides... and you throw in high TDS now...
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hahhaaha, even when I answer with specifics, I am wrong. It reminds me of 2nd grade, the kid who answers everything by disagreeing no matter what. "The sky is blue", "no its not so I win!"

This thread will once again be extended to 3 pages by one guy disagreeing with common sense, facts, and logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    Where I'm going.... I am going to rein you in from your all inclusive statements in a DIYer forum where you seem to think you are going to change the behavior of water treatment dealers across the country. It seems to me you must think there are sufficient numbers of dealers here that you would spend you time at that.

Another thing is that you confuse things by including commercial/industrial when the OP is an individual residential type and not involved in commercial etc. regs. Many of them are on their own private well and septic. Now you go on about bans against softener discharge into private septic systems and make it sound as if it is wide spread. You just did the same by listing some states where I guess you think "many municipalities" have banned softeners due to chlorides... and you throw in high TDS now...

That whole thing fell short of expectations LOL
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]