Kohler Villager (K716) vs Kohler Bellwether (K838)

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYdude

Reaction score
Hi. I've been researching bathtubs ad nauseum, and I think I've settled on a cast iron tub. I originally thought to buy an Americast tub because of weight (I'm installing it myself), but I've seen mixed reviews on them. I saw the Villager at Lowe's, but I was turned off by its shallowness. Does anyone have any experience with the Bellwether (K838)? Apparently, the K838 is the newer model of the K876, and it's 30 1/4" wide, which is perfect for my bathroom. I read something about tub drain installation issues with the K876, so I'm hoping the K838 doesn't have the same issues. Thanks.

Bellwether
http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Bathing-Baths/Bellwether/brand/429305/429297.htm

Villager
http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Village...297&hash=id=filters&startIndex=20&scrollTop=0

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYdude

Reaction score
Ok, I just found the specs on the two Bellwether models. The K876's drain center is 11 7/8" from the tub flange, while the K838's drain center is 8 1/2" from the flange. My current tub is 8 1/2" from flange to drain center, so I'm leaning towards the K838.

DIYdude

Reaction score
I purchased the K838 today. I got a GREAT deal on it at about $100 more than Lowe's Villager price.

k838.jpeg

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
It's a nice looking tub but you do realize that both the K716 and the K838 are the same depth. (14")

John

DIYdude

Reaction score
It's a nice looking tub but you do realize that both the K716 and the K838 are the same depth. (14")

John

Yeah, I did read closer later that it's the same depth as the Villager. Comparing it to the depth of my current tub, it will work just fine. I believe the basin is almost 5 inches longer than the Villager, which was one of my other concerns.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The K876's drain center is 11 7/8" from the tub flange, while the K838's drain center is 8 1/2" from the flange.

That has absolutely NOTHING to do with the tub installation. The drain "outlet", NOT the drain in the bottom of the tub, is appoximately centered on the tub, and it is usually about 1" from the rough wall. I doubt that the "tub" is 5" longer, since there was a very small distance from any wall to the tub's basin. The K-876 was also a 32" wide x 16" high tub, which would probably not work for you.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I just installed a Kohler tub today.
We a lot of sales and work in the Seattle area.

The Bellwether is 48-3/4" on the lower well, the Villager is 45" on the lower well. That's because the Villager has more slope at the back, the Bellwether is more upright.
When Jamie and I toured the factory, they were pouring the Cast Iron Villager tubs. It's pretty cool watching the glowing molten iron being poured from the kettle into the form.
We also saw a lot of the Nuvi bowls in the porcelain building too.

DIYdude

Reaction score
The tub is in town, and it will be delivered on Wednesday. I got this "Shoulder Dolly" product to hopefully move this monster a little easier. Has anyone used the Shoulder Dolly?

DIYdude

Reaction score
The tub arrived today - very nice. I like that the slope at the back of the tub isn't as dramatic as the Villager.

image2.jpg

image1.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks