Plumber reversed the hot and cold faucet placement, can it be fixed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
But the left would still say "Cold" so one has also to reverse the taps or at least the part with the words "Hot" and "Cold".

The little caps will spin out and spin back in. Those just cover the screws below.
Looking at the faucet below, the hot stem is installed on the correct side, it's just the caps that were moved. That and the water was crossed in the wall. Water being crossed in a wall is much more common then people realize. Some plumbers using products like Moen don't bother too much about it. They would rather have fewer fittings in the wall, and spin the cartridge to correct the hot side output.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The kitchen on the other side is also turning hot and cold without any problems

THAT is probably why the lavatory is backwards because they took the easy way after making sure the sink was correct.

shreyas

Reaction score
Just picked up a couple of supply line pipes from HD. Will try to cross them over. The manufacturers - Lefroy Brooks stated that I could change the trim plates of the faucets on the top to change the hot and cold rather than changing the entire faucets.

Hopefully the two things should do it. Oh boy. Will work on this tomorrow and I will post you guys.

Thanks again for your guidance.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is what happens when one person takes a shortcut, and the next guy does not know about it. HE should have tested the water flow, but if the water heater was not hot he would not have known that there was a problem.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The manufacturers - Lefroy Brooks stated that I could change the trim plates of the faucets on the top to change the hot and cold rather than changing the entire faucets.

Did they tell you how to change the trim plates? If you have any trouble, I would check back with them on how (unless they just spin out as Terry suggests, and I'm sure he knows).

As Terry pointed out, you don't really want to change the entire faucets because the "hot" faucet is in the correct place (as indicated by the red thingy around it when you look at it from under the sink). So it appears that your plumber swapped the labels.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
with "cross handles" there is NO "hot or cold". Both valves are the same. Only "lever handles" have different hot and cold units, and even then, you change the intermal core to reverse them. In this cass all he has to do is change the hot/cold index buttons. IF he were in France, the lavatory would be correct, but the kitchen sink would be reversed.

Jacobsond

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.nielsenelectric.com
With something as simple as which side the hot is on are you sure he was a licensed plumber? Since the handles are backwards he knew which pipe was hot and cold.He just didnt know how to correct the problem under the sink which crossing the supply pipes seem to be the easy answer.

shreyas

Reaction score
I am able to switch the hot and cold handles on the top. They screwed out and in easily just with the fingers - like what Lefroy stated.

But I am struggling while switching the supply lines. I must probably be very timid. But I am just not remove the existing supply lines. I was able to unscrew the screws at the top and bottom of the supply line. But where I am stuck is how to remove this brass o-ring that that is obviously holding that rigid supply line into the valve. Do I need a pipe cutter to cut the supply line?

I think the problem is that because this supply line is rigid, i cannot bend it to remove the existing tension between the valve at the bottom and the faucet at the top.

Any ideas, pros? Please help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, you bend them to remove the tension. Then you throw them away. Or recycle them. Though the gas to drive them somewhere is going to be a lot more then what they are worth.
The Ferrell is on there. They don't slide off.

shreyas

Reaction score
OP here. GOT IT, guys! Did it on our own! Got some braided supply tubes from HD, swapped the rigid ones from the below with those by crossing the supply valves to the faucets above. Then switched the handles on the top. The rigid supply tubes were a little stubborn coming off. But all is good now. It's been a couple of week and no leaks or such discoverd. So proud of ourselves. But wouldn't have been without your guidance.

Thanks again!

shreyas

Reaction score
OP here. GOT IT, guys! Did it on our own! Got some braided supply tubes from HD, swapped the rigid ones from the below with those by crossing the supply valves to the faucets above. Then switched the handles on the top. The rigid supply tubes were a little stubborn coming off. But all is good now. It's been a couple of week and no leaks or such discoverd. So proud of ourselves. But wouldn't have been without your guidance.

Thanks again!

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! It's very satisfying when you complete a job like this, isn't it? Nice to have faucets that work the way they are supposed to (or at least the way we've become accustomed to).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks