(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: where to find parts for old old faucet?

Default where to find parts for old old faucet?

Hello Guys,

I'm trying to fix this faucet in my mother's house.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  37.2 KB

The center "spout" piece has developed a small crack in the area where the drain plunger/closer rod is supposed to go. That piece rotates off and behind it looks like a threaded 1/4" pipe. I didn't expect home depot to have a new spout.. so I did the next best thing and took some of that magic plumbing epoxy putty and put it in the hole.. it slowed down the leak.. but its still dripping (only when faucet is on).

This thing is probably older than I am.. and I know the right thing to do is to rip it all out and replace it with an 18" vanity and a quality faucet from Moen, Delta, etc.. but this is a rental house.. my mother is getting a great deal from the landlord (my boss).. so I try to help out where I can. If I do replace the vanity.. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't patch up the floor with new tiles. and you know how that goes.. one thing leads to another and you have no walls left.. and this isn't my house to do a complete bathroom reno! haha

The perfect solution would be if I found another one of these spouts and could just put it on to stop the leak.

Thanks

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Can't tell for sure, but code requirements of today probably wouldn't allow that valve set or arrangement. Code wants an air gap between the bottom of the spout and the flood rim of the sink, and if the thing got clogged, you probably wouldn't have the required minimum gap. As a result, I'm not sure you'd find a replacement.

We have some long-time plumbers here...one of them may have some good news and suggestions.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Can't tell for sure, but code requirements of today probably wouldn't allow that valve set or arrangement. Code wants an air gap between the bottom of the spout and the flood rim of the sink, and if the thing got clogged, you probably wouldn't have the required minimum gap. As a result, I'm not sure you'd find a replacement.

We have some long-time plumbers here...one of them may have some good news and suggestions.
    On that sink there is a proper air gap. It's hard to tell from the picture but the spout is more then high enough.
    As far as parts they are available for that faucet. It's a Central faucet. Most plumbing supply houses will have what you need to rebuild that faucet.

John

I'm gonna say either Central Brass or Gerber. Once you know what it is there are lots of places online that can get parts......maybe.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Thanks Guys.. I'm gunna take this picture and the spout to the local plumbing houses.. I know of 3, but I'm pretty sure they are only open during the week, so I'll have to get creative with the scheduling.

Looks like they still make them.. but they are over $100.. so when the putty gives way.. I'm just gunna upgrade it to a regular faucet/vanity.. then she will also gain some storage underneath.

Thanks for your help

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

If the piece that's cracked is brass, you could solder or braze the crack and be good for another 50 years.

I didnt think of that! Good idea.. The guys from John Bridge Tile Forum found the piece I need for $18 plus shipping.

http://www.lockeplumbing.com/detail....USS25C&r2=&r3=

Whoever make that sink also made the faucet so look on the bottom for the manufacturerer's name, probably Kohler.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Your BEST shot is a search for a vintage plumbing store in Murphys, Ca. on line. They have 2 acres of a sales museum for old fixtures. Can get a 1800's toilet there.

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

Here is your faucet. It's the same faucet but the handles are a little different.

http://www.wayfair.com/Central-Brass...=XT49-CTB1036_

John