Replacement for Toto GMax fill valve - type A

Users who are viewing this thread

JD231

Reaction score
Hi there. I have a Toto Ultramax with a GMax Type A fill valve that seems to need repair or replacement (toilet keeps running, valve continues sending water into the tank even after the tank is full, causing water to constantly run down the overflow tube).

Is there a Korky product that I can use for this? All of the references I have seen to Korky fill valves appear to be the "type B" style. If my toilet originally had a "Type A" fill valve, can I replace it with a type B? The photo attached is the kind that is in my toilet right now.

I'm trying to find a way to use something I can buy at Home Depot, rather than special-ordering one from the manufacturer.

Thanks -
JD

cst854_inside_tank_new.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Your GMax toilet will take a "Type B" valve. They are interchangeable. It will take the Korky 528T "Fits Toto" fill valve no problem (I threw away that Chinese Vareto Type A fill valve in my Gmax Drake and replaced it with the Type B Korky 528T, which is much quieter on shutoff.) (FWIW, the regular, white-cap, Korky 528 will not work right in your toilet, because it refills at a standard 20% rate, whereas Toto GMax requires 40%, which is why Korky makes the 528T [fixed 40% refill rate, blue cap] and the 528MP [variable 0-40% refill rate, silver cap].

However, the Terry-recommended 528MP that you can get at Lowe's (Lowe's calls it the 528MPK) is now selling for less money than the 528T (for no good reason), so you should follow Terry's advice and just get that.

To expand upon what Terry said, Toto now uses a version of the 528MP MaxPerformance fill valve as the Toto Universal Official Replacement valve on EVERY Toto toilet. One valve for the whole product line. That means that if you called Toto for the replacement for your Type A valve, they would send you something that is basically the same as the Korky MaxPerformance fill valve that you can get at Lowe's for less than half of what Toto would charge you for essentially the same thing.

That's why Terry's expertise is so valuable.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on how old the toilet is, Toto might send you a new one for free.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I didn't pay enough attention to the first part of your post. Are you sure the water level is set right on the valve? Turn the white screw counterclockwise to decrease the water level, clockwise to raise. Maybe screwing it down a bit will stop the water before it hits the top of the overflow riser. Probably not, but worth a try.

And if Toto sends you a new valve, it may well be the new TSU99A.X Universal Fill Valve, which is basically a Korky 528MP, with much more precise instructions on setting the refill ratio and the valve height. (They actually tell you how many pegs high it should be for your model toilet, and tell you to insert the "tamper proof key" at that level, which isn't really required, and they give you a gizmo to set the refill ratio other than just by eyeballing it. All of this is to ensure that the thing stays within Watersense (1.28gpf) or the 1.6 gpf regime. If you just eyeball it, then the water usage may go up a bit.) I'd be curious how easy you find it to install, because the 528MP is a cinch, in part because you just eyeball the settings.

So let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

TuriyaSF

Reaction score
Thanks Terry for the tip on removing/cleaning the screen. I tried it and the problem is fixed! Here is a photo of the screen that was almost 80-90% clogged in about a year. Hope removing the screen will not affect the valve.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 2,038

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Um...removing it won't hurt the valve if you remove it and then clean it and reinstall it, as Terry recommends. Of course, if you run the valve without the screen and the valve breaks, a new one is $12 at Lowe's, and ten minutes to install. Korky 528MaxPerformance

Reach4

Reaction score
You might want to consider a whole-house filter.

TuriyaSF

Reaction score
Thanks All. I am thinking of whole house filter looking at the junk on the filters.

Well - I guessed my repair worked for a day and since this morning it started running again. Its a single piece CST624 unit (Lagato?) I cleaned the flapper but the water level dropped in about an hour after I turned off the main. Not sure whats wrong. I will clean and reinstall the filter but something else is wrong.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you turn off the water, and the water in the tank lowers, it's the flapper, or at least the flush valve maybe sealing to the tank.
Most of the time, the flapper.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The Legato uses the Toto THU331S flapper, among others. Its exact analogue in the real world is the Korky 2021BP flapper. Korky makes both flappers, and they are the same thing. Literally, it goes in one box that says "Toto" for sale in some places, and another box that says "Korky Fits Toto" for sale in others. Accordingly, you can just look it up online or at your local HD (where, for no reason, they call it a 2021CM):

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-3-in-Toilet-Tank-Flapper-for-Toto-G-Max-2021CM/202666003

083819a7-b5fd-4696-a9a6-bc952d12438d_400.jpg

This one will go right in without any adjustment and probably solve the problem immediately.

Also, Korky now makes a Universal Toto flapper, that will work on any Toto with a 3" flapper.

genuine_toto.jpg

That one requires you to set a little white band around its ouside to a certain position, depending upon your toilet, but it works properly and is kind of cool.

Also available at HD: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-3-in-Toilet-Tank-Flapper-for-TOTO-2023CM/205213624

Last edited by a moderator:

TuriyaSF

Reaction score
Thanks Terry and Wjcandee - I noticed the water lowered just below the flapper rim so it's probably the flapper - will stopby lowes on my way home from work and replace that (as well as reinstall the filter I removed yesterday). Hopefully this will solve the problem. Thanks again!

TuriyaSF

Reaction score
Great. I had emailed TOTO and they replied saying they will be sending me a replacement flapper - so looks like I will have to wait.. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks