Metal roof flashing--best one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr Russ

Reaction score
Figure2-40s.jpg

I have a metal roof similar in profile to this picture and i need to run a 3'' vent pipe thru it. Could someone recommend me a good roof flashing and a procedure on how to install it?

I found this one but im not sure how these things work and how to install them.
http://www.amazon.com/Oatey-14052-0...F8&qid=1345739642&sr=8-1&keywords=Oatey+14052

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
First, I think one absurd thing builders do is pepper roofs with hundreds of UGLY vents and pipes. One small house near me has 16 piece of junk out the roof, everyone a future leak. One 3" pipe will handle most houses, and certainly one 3" hole is cheaper than 16. And you can go out the sidewall, if you follow the code. Then we use fire stop eave vents and a continous ridge vent. A perfect roof.

I use that roof, and its a problem. go out the sidewall after talking to the inspector, tie vents in the attic. NOt possible - I have made a tight hole with a hole saw and used a small steel or neoprene ring [like the top inch of that pic] and super siliconed in, under, and around it and then used some elastomeric mastic over it all, and painted it to match the roof. stay off the ribs. fiberglas tape in the mastic makes it bombproof

Last edited:

Mr Russ

Reaction score
I dont have any gables on my house. So when you say sidewall is that what you are referring to?

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
One of the places I plumb is S.F. The S.F. amendment to the U.P.C. requires at least one plumbing vent to have the same aggregate area as the lateral. So a 4 " vent is mandatory. I also roof ,have 2 hot tar kettles. Go to a roof supply that sells standing seam roofing,they will set You up with the proper flashing. Of course weather You have the skill and experience is another thing ! I still have my ZAX [ slate hammer] from doing slate roofs in Boston 1962. Good luck

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you have a "guaranteed roof", then the roofer usually INSISTS that they do the pipe seals so there is not question about liability in case of a leak.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
I was fortunate to start the trades in New england. 1st work was a roofer. $7.05 a square for bird shingles. Learned the proper way to flash,with copper,
and lead. When I came West I couldn't believe what i was looking at on some roofs !

Ballvalve

Reaction score
I agree. Lead is the best, but the chinese have tripled the cost. I used to do copper roofs - copper at $1.78 a pound - Now scrap is at 3$+ . Few on the west coast know anything about flashing. I see it lapped the wrong way, and even missing. Maybe some caulk. Just built a "gypsy wagon" and used copper foil, which is still reasonable and durable. Maybe I'll post a picture later.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Here is a real roof and a forever "motor home" . Made the papers and the owners published a book on it. You should see the interior.....

wagon roof.jpgwagon rear.jpgwagon front.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks