(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Metal roof flashing--best one?

Default Metal roof flashing--best one?

Name:  Figure2-40s.jpg
Views: 1689
Size:  31.6 KB

I have a metal roof similar in profile to this picture and i need to run a 3'' vent pipe thru it. Could someone recommend me a good roof flashing and a procedure on how to install it?

I found this one but im not sure how these things work and how to install them.
    http://www.amazon.com/Oatey-14052-0-...ds=Oatey+14052

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

First, I think one absurd thing builders do is pepper roofs with hundreds of UGLY vents and pipes. One small house near me has 16 piece of junk out the roof, everyone a future leak. One 3" pipe will handle most houses, and certainly one 3" hole is cheaper than 16. And you can go out the sidewall, if you follow the code. Then we use fire stop eave vents and a continous ridge vent. A perfect roof.

I use that roof, and its a problem. go out the sidewall after talking to the inspector, tie vents in the attic. NOt possible - I have made a tight hole with a hole saw and used a small steel or neoprene ring [like the top inch of that pic] and super siliconed in, under, and around it and then used some elastomeric mastic over it all, and painted it to match the roof. stay off the ribs. fiberglas tape in the mastic makes it bombproof
    Last edited by ballvalve; 08-23-2012 at 12:27 PM.

I dont have any gables on my house. So when you say sidewall is that what you are referring to?

One of the places I plumb is S.F. The S.F. amendment to the U.P.C. requires at least one plumbing vent to have the same aggregate area as the lateral. So a 4 " vent is mandatory. I also roof ,have 2 hot tar kettles. Go to a roof supply that sells standing seam roofing,they will set You up with the proper flashing. Of course weather You have the skill and experience is another thing ! I still have my ZAX [ slate hammer] from doing slate roofs in Boston 1962. Good luck

IF you have a "guaranteed roof", then the roofer usually INSISTS that they do the pipe seals so there is not question about liability in case of a leak.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Russ View Post
    I dont have any gables on my house. So when you say sidewall is that what you are referring to?
    sides, gable end, any wall. Here, houses have 3" abs tying to the septic 4" outside, so its considered 3" is the size for the house.

I was fortunate to start the trades in New england. 1st work was a roofer. $7.05 a square for bird shingles. Learned the proper way to flash,with copper,
    and lead. When I came West I couldn't believe what i was looking at on some roofs !

I agree. Lead is the best, but the chinese have tripled the cost. I used to do copper roofs - copper at $1.78 a pound - Now scrap is at 3$+ . Few on the west coast know anything about flashing. I see it lapped the wrong way, and even missing. Maybe some caulk. Just built a "gypsy wagon" and used copper foil, which is still reasonable and durable. Maybe I'll post a picture later.

Here is a real roof and a forever "motor home" . Made the papers and the owners published a book on it. You should see the interior.....

Name:  wagon roof.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  40.2 KBName:  wagon rear.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  24.8 KBName:  wagon front.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  41.3 KB