Help! Replace wall hung toilet in a 50 years old condo...

Users who are viewing this thread

dj cartel

Reaction score
I am renovating the condo and trying to replace the Americian Standard wall hung toilet has been there since the condo was built in the 50s.

The problem is that American Standard no longer make this gravity flush wall hang toilet. Crane used to make the Rexmont wall hung toilet but it has been discontinued. The Americian Standard replacement model is the Glenwall pressure assisted siphon jet action toilet. The condo association does not allow pressure assisted due to the noise it makes.

So I got creative and looked into on using commercial toilet (Toto wall hung, CT708EV) with a flushometer valve (Toto, TET3GN31#SS). We have water line that is 1" and the water pressure is well above 30 psi. However, my concerns are that 1) does siphon jet make loud noise also? more or less than pressure assist? 2) anything thing I should be concerned or aware of installing a commercial toilet at home? 3) any alternative solutions?

Thank you!

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
That will make just as much noise as a pressure assist toilet. Maybe it would be a good idea to rebuild the old AmStd

dj cartel

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.

The old toilet has a horizontal crack from one of the top mounting hole to the end of the mounting piece of the toilet. Is it replaceable?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
All parts are replaceable, as long as you can find someone else throwing one away that is still usable. You may want to talk to the HO association about it. This is something that they all will be dealing with soon. As you have noticed, the wall hung bowls are in short supply, with really only the Glenwall being availible. They do make some in-wall carriers, but that would require quite a bit of construction work to make the change. I lived with the Glenwall in a home before. It's not that bad. Is it a bit more then most gravity? Yes, in that it has more of a noticable thump, when flushed. IMHO
It's still what I'm installing as a retrofit. I don't see any other choice at the moment without major work.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The Sloan pressure unit will be somewhat quiter than a flushometer valve.

I would talk to your water company......althought CCR's give condos some leeway on rules, a CCR which thwarts or interferes with federal WaterSense goals, and local water usage requirements.....might be overturned by a court. The water company may be willing to send a "lawyer letter" to the HOA.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Hey, Jimbo, I have to say that that's pretty-creative!

To the original poster: A few months ago, I purchased a lid for my 50+-year-old American Standard toilet on that major auction site. I needed to replace one that was cracked. It was perfect. Lids seem more plentiful than bowls (probably because used lids are usually more pristine than used bowls and there is less "ick" factor), but if you can pull the model number from inside the tank and plug it in on that major auction site, you may get lucky. Just a thought. Path of least-resistance and all.

And for what it's worth, Duravit makes a horizontal-discharge toilet that takes a close-coupled tank. The Darling New 213809 bowl with the 093110 cistern isn't a bad-looking unit. However, it stands on the floor, rather than floating above it like the Glenwall. It has a "washdown" flush like most Duravits, and the flush is of unknown quality. The tank has a dual-flush mechanism that I assume is gravity (because it's a similar design to the ones that take the Geberit in-wall cisterns, which are a gravity flush), but I would check to be sure. The horizontal discharge has a centerline that is 180mm above the floor, which is higher than the Glenwall's 105mm (or 156mm for the ADA version/mounting). There are some other Duravits that have a similar setup, like the D-Code (185mm), Duraplus, etc. Duravit has something called the Vario connector that lets the unit discharge vertically or horizontally, and on a number of vertical rough-in sizes. Can't say, though, how the bends in it are likely to affect clogginess, although the rear-discharge is pretty direct. You're looking at north of $700 for the Darling New cistern and tank, so it ain't cheap. (Caution: each is sold separately, so if you see a picture of the full toilet and it's priced at $400-ish, be sure it's coming with the cistern (tank) because it probably isn't.)

So I don't know if this is helpful to you or not, because you're at a minimum not going to be able to mount it on the current carrier, and thus would require some work to install. But it's a thought, particularly if the alternatives involve more-expensive remodeling. And if you were thinking about buying a commercial flushometer, you were, I guess, already considering alternatives that cost some $$$.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks