Gap between ceiling fan housing and ceiling

Users who are viewing this thread

hfx

Reaction score
Hunter ceiling fan:
Hi I was wondering if anyone had experience with ceiling fans and could tell me what the deal is with the gap I ended up with between the housing and the ceiling. It almost looks like the bracket was made to hang down some, the instructions didn't say anything about bending it to fit flush with the ceiling, just curious if anyone had the same issues.

IMAG0941 (Medium).jpgIMAG0943 (Medium).jpgIMAG0944 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Is the ceiling box (hopefully fan mounting designed and rated) flush or slightly receeded with the sheet rock? Are you able to spread those wires apart somewhat as a seperate issue?

hfx

Reaction score
Thanks. Yea the box is recessed 3/16" or so (yep its made for and mounted for ceiling fan, thanks). You saying I need to give the wires some breathing room from each other? I could probly do that, can I ask why, just so I know.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
it looks like you're missing a trim ring that covers the screws. Mine has a cover that slides over those and covers that same gap.

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 5,920
Last edited:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
it looks like you're missing a trim ring that covers the screws. Mine has a cover that slides over those and covers that same gap.

Yours hangs on a stem and his fits flush to the ceiling but I don’t see anything wrong.

I would much rather have the small gap as to have it damage the texture of the ceiling trying to install it.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Yea the box is recessed 3/16" or so (yep its made for and mounted for ceiling fan, thanks). You saying I need to give the wires some breathing room from each other? I could probly do that, can I ask why, just so I know.
If the gap bothers you, a medallion may work for you to hide it. HD and Lowes sell a variety of them. You could also call the manufacturer's customer service to see if they can suggest any possible adjustment. I agree with JW, though. More often than not, it is difficlult to force the canopy up against the ceiling while trying to get those screws threaded into the holes.

I mentioned the wiring because it does not look so neat. I have installed enough ceiling fans to know that it is not always so easy to make it neat:p, but I always try.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I agree! I'd leave it alone. No one, but you, will ever look at this and think, "What a horribly wide gap!" And you will soon think of other things and will stop noticing it.

hfx

Reaction score
Hey I appreciate it guys. Yea I know I'll def get used to it being like that. I'm glad you all feel this way, now I won't feel compelled to take it back apart and fix anything. And if I do I can find an alt to the actual housing sitting flush. Thanks

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Every once and a while we have someone ask a question and get an answer that they are satisfied with but more times than not we have someone who thinks we are picking on them.

It pleases my heart when we do give someone an answer that makes them happy so I thank you for posting this.

Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks