Used hydronic circulator pump to transfer pump ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Nestork

Janitorial Technician
Reaction score
No, but if you or anyone in here is in the market for a top quality pump, I can give them some advice.

Iwaki is a Japanese manufacturer of magnetic drive pumps. "Magnetic drive" means that there's no shaft between the pump motor and the impeller. Instead, the pump motor turns a powerful magnet, and on the other side of a water tight barrier there's another magnet that's connected to the impeller. So, the motor turns a magnet that turns another magnet that turns the impeller. That eliminates the seal around the motor shaft, and doing that eliminates all kinds of limitations on what the pump can pump.

Magnetic drive pumps can pump hotter liquids than sump pumps (up to 190 degrees F, or hereabouts before the plastic impeller and housing start to soften up) as well as basic or acidic liquids (like oven cleaner and battery acid) because there's no seal that needs to stand up to high and low pH's. Magnetic drive pumps are popular in the food and beverage industries (and with people that have large and expensive aqariums) because there's no seal to leak and contaminate the food, beverage or aquarium water being pumped.

Here is an Iwaki MD70 magnetic drive pump that'll cost you about $500:

magnetic%20pump%20100.jpg

There are different models of MD70 depending on whether you want hose, threaded or flange inlet and outlet connections on the pump. The MD70 has 1 inch inlet and outlet.

In 1992 the chief engineer for Iwaki in Japan quit his job and started his own company called "Pan World" pumps. Pan World pumps are identical to Iwaki pumps, but cost half as much. (Either Iwaki never patented their designs or Pan World is using Iwaki designs whose patents have expired.) Pan World also sells their magnetic drive pumps under the name "Blueline" pumps in the USA.

On this web site from an aquarium supply house it quotes a price of $259 for the Pan World 200PS, which is, apart from colour, identical to Iwaki's MD70 pump. That's about half the price of an Iwaki MD70.

http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/PW-200PS.html

So, if you need a top quality pump that'll work where conventional pumps won't, you get very good value for your money by buying a Pan World magnetic drive pump.

I have a Pan World 200PS and even though I don't know squat about pumps, it's quiet, powerful and works great when it comes to pumping water from what I can see. You can download the flow vs. head curves from Iwaki's web site or by Googling "Pan World pump curves" and clicking on one of the links.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hydronic circulators are not capable of producing enough suction or head to pump anything. They just paddle water around a closed and pressurized loop.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They do not "suck" good, but if you can arrange them so the water can flow into the pump, it will discharge it up to its "head pressure" cut out point.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Thank You Both. Sounds like it would be good to evacuate Water Heaters ? THE ONES WITH BIBS !!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks