Mounting a water meter ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not all meters will operate correctly in the vertical position. You need to find the exact model and find out first. Either way though the meter should be hard piped on either the inlet or outlet for a distance so that at least two split ring hangers can be used to hold the pipe.

Spydrweb1977

Reaction score
Split ring hangers were what I was thinking, thanks or the input. I will verify the exact model and make sure it is good for vertical operation. Based on the literature on neptunes site, I think I will be good to go, but I will verify the model first and plan accordingly. Thanks again.

Spydrweb1977

Reaction score
Ok, so I verified the model as a 5/8 T 10, and per specs it has a "floating chamber design unaffected by meter position or in line piping stresses" so it looks like vertical mount is a go :) it also says it has bayonet style mount for the gauge allowing in line serviceability. Does that mean I can twist off the gauge and rotate its orientation? As is, the gauge will be upside down when it's in place... I don't mind that, just not sure if it affects the operation...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It means the dial is easily removable, but that does not mean it can be oriented differently, but it could be if the "bayonets" are 180 degrees apart.

Spydrweb1977

Reaction score
Well, called Neptune today, and it looks like I'm doing a horizontal install after all. They said they have only tested the meter this way and would not recommend vertical, even though their literature states the design allows it.... Better safe than sorry... I can still flip the readout I I want though, apparently there a four position you can place it in with the bayonet setup.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks