Draining/Venting Tips Needed

Users who are viewing this thread

illusion8055

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Your input and feedback on this is very welcome.

I am combining what used to be side by side bathroom and laundry rooms in my basement into one larger room and of course this necessitates moving plumbing.

The previous plumbing all seemed to be draining just fine.

Please see the attached photos for a reference:

0vxwU.jpg

H3NLH.jpg

My main areas of concern are as follows:

• The existing dry vent that I am tying into is 2". I presume given teh fact that there were no past problems that this is sufficient for this bath/laundry group
  • Given that the shower is now downstream from the toilet will this be an issue with venting? They will both use the sink's wet vent
  • Do all of my tie ins to the main horizontal line (shower, toilet, sink) need to be Y-shaped?
  • As you can see the two vents will tie in at the ceiling below the joists. Is the way I have it drawn out OK? Ideally I would run the line straight to both areas but you can see some stuff gets in the way so I have to make that awkward shape. This vent ties into the stack that vents the kitchen. The kitchen sink does not drain through this stack.

Please let me know if anything is unclear about my drawings.

Am I on the right path here?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your terminology may be confusing. The kitchen sink line should vent the new toilet, but BOTH the lavatory and shower need their own vent lines. In order to make the new installation, you will have to take out and redo almost all of the piping.

illusion8055

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply HJ. I certainly don't mind redoing everything, I just want to be sure I'm doing it right! That's where your help is extremely appreciated.

That being said, there are a couple of issues I have learned of:

• The vent that the old washer and bath groups were using is a 1.5" vent
  • The washer is supposed to drain AFTER the bath group so as to prevent sudsy waste soap from blocking vents for the bath group

So if I vent the toilet to the kitchen sink/dishwasher drain, can I simply vent the new lav, shower, and laundry to the existing 1.5" vent?

Thanks for your feedback

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The kitchen sink drain/vent can not be used to wet vent a toilet. Only bath group fixtures can be wet vented.

illusion8055

Reaction score
Here are a couple more shots to illustrate what I have and what I am hoping to do:

My main line is 4". I double checked.

So I Photoshopped up some shots to further clarify things, and also illustrate tying into the 4" main AFTER the bath group.

ZGpbr.jpg

IBjPd.jpg

Is there a minimum distance to maintain between tying the laundry into the main drain and the wye for the shower?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
qquote; Is there a minimum distance to maintain between tying the laundry into the main drain and the wye for the shower

I wouldn't even waste my time doing it that way. But I still do not see any sign of a vent for the shower.

illusion8055

Reaction score
The shower is vented through the 2" lav wet vent. Correct? Incorrect?

How would you propose to drain the washer?

I do sincerely appreciate your feedback. That being said, could you throw in suggestions when I said I did something wrong? Your help is invaluable!

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
depends on how far away the lav is. Most codes it can't be any more than 6' some are 5'

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
It appears to be within the right distance. there appears to be enough room to cut in both wye's just move the shower wye up and the laundry wye below it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks