Need Some Guidence No Sprinkler Function

Users who are viewing this thread

Vinnykidd

Reaction score
Had a sprinkler system professionally installed about 6 years ago. Had been working flawlessly until a few weeks ago. It runs once a week for four zones. Started to trouble shoot it today and can offer this info. My Rainbird control in the garage works like it always has and when I manually turned on the sprinklers today it clicks like it always has on and off. What I did notice is that my pump will turn on for a few seconds and then shut down, but it sounds like it always has It does this for all four zones. Also I opened up the faucet on my pump and water will come out of it while the pump does run for those few seconds before it shuts down. All four zones though do not ever come on. I took a peak at my cellinoids but need assistance on what checks to make. I doubt all four zones failed but we did have a tropical storm come through here a about a month ago with lots of rain and lightning. I have access to a meter if there's a way to test voltages on all the items. Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Lightning will fry a controller. At the outlet terminal board of the controller, you should have 24 volts ac ( measured to COMMON terminal ) at the pump start terminal, and also at the # zone which is supposed to run. If you do, the thing that is common to all zones IS the COMMON wire. Something may have happened to that connection out in the yard.

Vinnykidd

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I'll check all that out this weekend. Luckily we have had rain every few days so, the down time on the lawn has not been too harmful. I'll reply back if I need any more assistance. Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm with Jimbo on this. Something has happened to the common wire. Could be at the controller or it could be at the wye going to the first valve since none of the valves come on. If the wire was loose or broken after the first valve, the first valve would work, but the rest would not.

Vinnykidd

Reaction score
I think I've pretty much narrowed down my problem to a bad pump start relay. I called Rain Bird customer support and they had me run some checks and I was able to hear the coil in this relay arc. It's a HX20-S32 rated 32A with a coil volt 24V 50/60 Hz I ran to Home Depot and they had the whole kit with a housing, different brand, but the guy there said I'd most likely have to splice some wires to match it up to the new one. I'd like to just find this one and bolt it into my existing housing and be done with it. Any suggestions. Also, it seems that A/C units, might use this relay as well? Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks