(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fleck 2500 control valve and help with softener maintenance

Default Fleck 2500 control valve and help with softener maintenance

Hello Fellow,
    I still haven't bought a new softener yet because of too many other projects right now.
    I would like to do some maintenance on my existing softener to try and get a few more months out of it.
    I don't really know how to manually regenerate this softener as I can't find a manual for the valve or even figure out what kind of valve I have.
    Here's a picture. I think it is at least 20 years old.

I got some super iron out. Planning to poor some in the brine tank and do a manual regeneration or 2.
    Thanks
    Last edited by ribs1; 08-18-2012 at 01:05 PM.

That is a very old day timer Fleck 2500 and it's well over 20 years old.

It has a brine valve stem or o-ring leak.

Mix the IO in a gallon of water before pouring it in the salt tank and not into dry salt, get it into the water in the tank.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

I was thinking maybe a 1500 control vlv but it could be a 2500 as well. Side or rear pictures are needed to id. Here is a link for a manual for the 1500. You should be able to get the manual for the 2500 from the same link.
    http://www.pentairwatertreatment.com...al%2015856.pdf

Thanks Guys,
    I figured out how to manually regenerate. I poured the iron out solution into the part of the brine tank where the float is. Was that the right thing to do?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ribs1 View Post
    Thanks Guys,
    I figured out how to manually regenerate. I poured the iron out solution into the part of the brine tank where the float is. Was that the right thing to do?
    Thanks
    That is where it is to go when adding iron out solution straight into the water of the salt tank.
    The valve is either the Fleck 1500 or 2500, a photo of the valve body would tell as to which one it is, but either way the books for the two are the same.

Yours have the brine refill and rapid rinse together with the white cam that is on the left of the cam drive motor.
    The timer assembly is of the older style and work able till the motor goes.
    http://www.pentairwatertreatment.com...al%2015856.pdf

I believe it's a Fleck 2500 and it's all of 20 years old and I suspect closer to 30 but it's a testament to the durability of Fleck equipment. You can still find just about every part needed to rebuild it.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

With it still working and if Fleck was was still doing the oldest working valve .. this might be in the running.

The valve body and fiber glass tank can be used for many more years.
    Change the resin, rebuild the valve and timer and good to go.
    And there would be less in the landfill.

I figured it was an old one. I don't think I will rebuild this thing though for a couple reasons.
    1. I don't know how (although I'm sure I could figure it out, or get someone to do it)
    2. I think my softener is undersized.
    3. I really want a metered valve unit.

My house was built in 1980. Do you guys think this softener could be original to the house?

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Unscrew the thumb nut and open the timer. Please be carefull since on the older designs, the live wires were not fully covered like they are on the newer units. Inside the timer, on the two microswitches will be a date sticker. Please let us know how old it is. I am guessing 30+

1980 wouldn't surprise me in the least.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Quote Originally Posted by ribs1 View Post
    I figured it was an old one. I don't think I will rebuild this thing though for a couple reasons.
    1. I don't know how (although I'm sure I could figure it out, or get someone to do it)
    2. I think my softener is undersized.
    3. I really want a metered valve unit.

My house was built in 1980. Do you guys think this softener could be original to the house?
    There is a way of turning that unit into a metered unit.
    What size is the media tank?
    what size is the house?
    number of bathrooms?
    water quality?
    Doing it your self means that you learn your system for the future trouble shooting of any problems later on.

But if you would like to spend the money for a new one there are any number of places on line and box stores that are more than happy to take your money.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
    There is a way of turning that unit into a metered unit.
    What size is the media tank?
    what size is the house?
    number of bathrooms?
    water quality?
    Doing it your self means that you learn your system for the future trouble shooting of any problems later on.

But if you would like to spend the money for a new one there are any number of places on line and box stores that are more than happy to take your money.
    It can be converted to a metered valve. New timer/meter assembly, replumb in a mechanical meter, new cover, rebuild the valve, probably should replace the resin while you are at it, and the distributor tube, I would not recommend this path though.

Personally, you got your moneys worth. Looking at the brine valve cam, and the wiring, this is an early 80's valve, probably original to the house.

It is time to upgrade to a modern system. Congratulations on the long life of your system! Fleck valves are still made with the same internal designs and materials. The valve body is usually a high quality GE Noryl plastic, and those almost never fail, even after 30 years. The brass bodies are great, but we have a higher failure rate of brass than we do plastic. LOL, higher failure rate= 1 out of 10,000 vs 1 out of 20,000, not really a problem either way.

I don't think I will be rebuilding this softener right now. I think it's time for a modern system.
    I might however think about cleaning it up and converting to an iron filter later.

Modern in what way?
    About the only thing there that is not Modern would be the valve because it is not digital.
    Most companies are only into selling new equipment.

One finds a Model T that with a little work could be on the road again working.
    Do you pass it to the junk yard ?
    Do you work on it to put it on the road?

Blog Entries

This is not a model T, it is a 1980 Reliant K. Big difference.