Question about 3 compartment sink installation and mop sink

Users who are viewing this thread

lcafe

Reaction score
Quick question. I am in California. I am installing a 3 compartment sink in my business which is going to operated under a 'food facility' license. Does the sink need to have it's own valves. I have a main valve for the cold water , and another valve for the hot water. These valves control water flow to both the mop sink and 3 compartment sink. Do I need separate valves for both the mop sink and the 3 compartment sink? I know it can be useful to have but not sure if anybody knows if it's absolutely necessary? I can't seem to find anything related to this under CA health & safety code which is odd..

A contractor came in and rebuilt the bathroom up to code. He also installed two valves and water lines coming out of the wall in the first photo near the bottom right. One valve controls the cold water out, the other is to send hot water in from the water heater which goes back to the bathroom sink.

My initial plan was to install two additional separate valves that control hot and cold water flow to the 3 compartment sink, and another two separate valves that control hot and cold water to the mop sink. That way I could control water flow to each independently however it seems rather unnecessary because if i needed to shut off water flow in the back area quickly it would make more sense to have 2 master valves verses 4.. unless i'm wrong?

The photos below aren't complete but give a quick idea of what i have ..

The mop sink has it's own drain into the wall which goes down into grey water.

The 3 compartment sink has it's own drain which goes into the ground with an air gap between the floor drain twice the diameter of the drain pipe

lcafe-02.jpg
lcafe-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT would be nice if the photos actually showed something, but they are both too dark. With those supply lines, they should be attached to "angle stops" at the water line, and, if so, I do not see a reason for your question.

lcafe

Reaction score
That answers my question , thanks!

sorry about the dark photos , low light in the room but high gama on my monitor.

restaurant-supply

Reaction score
Quick question. I am in California. I am installing a 3 compartment sink in my business which is going to operated under a 'food facility' license. Does the sink need to have it's own valves. I have a main valve for the cold water , and another valve for the hot water. These valves control water flow to both the mop sink and 3 compartment sink. Do I need separate valves for both the mop sink and the 3 compartment sink? I know it can be useful to have but not sure if anybody knows if it's absolutely necessary? I can't seem to find anything related to this under CA health & safety code which is odd..

A contractor came in and rebuilt the bathroom up to code. He also installed two valves and water lines coming out of the wall in the first photo near the bottom right. One valve controls the cold water out, the other is to send hot water in from the water heater which goes back to the bathroom sink.

My initial plan was to install two additional separate valves that control hot and cold water flow to the 3 compartment sink, and another two separate valves that control hot and cold water to the mop sink. That way I could control water flow to each independently however it seems rather unnecessary because if i needed to shut off water flow in the back area quickly it would make more sense to have 2 master valves verses 4.. unless i'm wrong?

The photos below aren't complete but give a quick idea of what i have ..

The mop sink has it's own drain into the wall which goes down into grey water.

The 3 compartment sink has it's own drain which goes into the ground with an air gap between the floor drain twice the diameter of the drain pipe

View attachment 17090View attachment 17091

The 2001 California Plumbing Code does not have a specific requirement when it comes to needing separate valves for each individual sink for a food service establishment. If the sinks both have potable water that is safe for consumption, they can run through the same master valve. The only requirement is for each sink to have the ability to have water cut off. If so, there is no need to install extra valves for individual sinks.

If you need options for 3 compartment sinks you can find them here: https://www.restaurantsupply.com/three-compartment-sinks

If you need help with what you need please contact our live chat, we have experts ready to help you find the right sinks and parts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks