(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Question about 3 compartment sink installation and mop sink

Default Question about 3 compartment sink installation and mop sink

Quick question. I am in California. I am installing a 3 compartment sink in my business which is going to operated under a 'food facility' license. Does the sink need to have it's own valves. I have a main valve for the cold water , and another valve for the hot water. These valves control water flow to both the mop sink and 3 compartment sink. Do I need separate valves for both the mop sink and the 3 compartment sink? I know it can be useful to have but not sure if anybody knows if it's absolutely necessary? I can't seem to find anything related to this under CA health & safety code which is odd..

A contractor came in and rebuilt the bathroom up to code. He also installed two valves and water lines coming out of the wall in the first photo near the bottom right. One valve controls the cold water out, the other is to send hot water in from the water heater which goes back to the bathroom sink.

My initial plan was to install two additional separate valves that control hot and cold water flow to the 3 compartment sink, and another two separate valves that control hot and cold water to the mop sink. That way I could control water flow to each independently however it seems rather unnecessary because if i needed to shut off water flow in the back area quickly it would make more sense to have 2 master valves verses 4.. unless i'm wrong?

The photos below aren't complete but give a quick idea of what i have ..

The mop sink has it's own drain into the wall which goes down into grey water.

The 3 compartment sink has it's own drain which goes into the ground with an air gap between the floor drain twice the diameter of the drain pipe

Name:  081612014628.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  31.3 KBName:  081612014643.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  36.4 KB
    Last edited by lcafe; 08-18-2012 at 04:23 AM.

IT would be nice if the photos actually showed something, but they are both too dark. With those supply lines, they should be attached to "angle stops" at the water line, and, if so, I do not see a reason for your question.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

That answers my question , thanks!

sorry about the dark photos , low light in the room but high gama on my monitor.