(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Professional rough-in

That last picture shows just enough to be "intriguing". it appears to be a "Y", 45, tee or Y, and another tee "backwards" into that fitting, which also creates a "loop". What is that connection for? If THAT mishmash had been removed and redone, I am sure the toilet's connection would have been much simpler. For anything other than a floor drain branch, a cleanout is "required" after every 90 degrees which means your setup would have needed THREE cleanouts assuming there was room for them, which there is not.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

So HJ, am I off base to suggest that whoever plumbed that mess has no clue what he's doing?
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Quote Originally Posted by hagakure View Post
    A 90 degree turn should be done using a wye and 45 with a cap at the end for a cleanout and since you're in the basement, put it right there in the floor.

Copper vent? Is it even big enough to vent everything you're doing? Does it tie into a larger vent not made of copper? If so, use it for something else or scrap it for $2.50 lb.
    The copper vent is 2 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    That last picture shows just enough to be "intriguing". it appears to be a "Y", 45, tee or Y, and another tee "backwards" into that fitting, which also creates a "loop". What is that connection for? If THAT mishmash had been removed and redone, I am sure the toilet's connection would have been much simpler. For anything other than a floor drain branch, a cleanout is "required" after every 90 degrees which means your setup would have needed THREE cleanouts assuming there was room for them, which there is not.
    That last picture was the original plumbing when I dug it up. There was a sink that drained into the copper vent and down through the toilet line. I've had someone else come look at it and they are going to break into the mainline and take out all the old cast iron, properly place the toilet rough-in, take out all the old work and put in a backwater valve. I'll post pictures when it is done. I'll see what the original guy says when I tell him I had to pay someone else to redo all the work. Thanks for all the advice.

Now there you go, you go after the guy that ripped you off in the first place. Before you do the backwater valve, make sure you check with the city or town because sometimes they don't like them installed without their knowledge.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Here is the new layout for the basement rough-in:

Name:  DSC_0009small.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  26.9 KBName:  DSC_0014small.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  29.5 KB

I don't know where to start except to say no. That was done by a plumber too?

Terry, HJ,

Do you see any issue with this setup?

Everythings wrong with it. There's no vent for the shower or the toilet and whatever that line is coming in after the toilet, if it's a vent then it's flat and not to code and if its part of a wet vent it's on the wrong end of the toilet and the shower drain is a 3/4 s trap with no vent and the top picture has no toilet vent and the list goes on and on. Nothing there meets code really.
    whoever is doing the work has no clue about proper venting or plumbing practices either for that matter and you can get all pissed off at me if you want but I'm trying to save you money, time and headaches down the road. You can do it right or you can do it again and again and again.
    Last edited by Tom Sawyer; 08-30-2012 at 01:21 PM.

The line after the toilet is a wet vent line (for the laundry sink and the bath sink) which will tie back in to the old copper vent. How could a vent be on the wrong end of a toilet, I'm not following, it is downstream? The drain to the left of the toilet is not vented, it is a basement general drain, not a shower drain (that is why it has the primer line). The drains in the top picture are a bath drain and shower drain, both of which are vented, the lines run to the left wall in the picture.

Name:  DSC_0008.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  46.8 KBName:  DSC_0010.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  41.7 KBName:  DSC_0012.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  38.2 KB
    Last edited by FatsoPilot; 08-30-2012 at 03:47 PM.

The laundry sink can not be used as any part of the wet vent system. Only bath group fixtures can be wet vented. That line should also have been before the toilet so that the toilet wye is washed by the fixture(s) above. The floor drain is not vented and the way the fittings are laid up you have created an s trap there. Where does that horizontal that is above the floor drain wye go?