(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Little iron still in water after brand new Softener installed

Name:  IMG_2640.JPG
Views: 95
Size:  80.8 KB

My valve is the Fleck 5600 SXT. Salt tank measures 14" x 16" X 32" tall

The white tape mark on the salt tank shows my water line after regen this morn.

It ran for 8 minutes before almost overflowing (and being shut off by the float) at .5 gpm. So it can handle 12 lbs of salt but that would be the max.

Gary, I agree with everything stated. I wasn't sure if I should lower to 36K so thanks for clarifying. A few questions; Lowering the time of the brine fill to 8 min at .5 gpm will effectively set it to 12lbs of salt correct ? And since I just regenerated with Iron out this morning should I do it again this evening or omit it from the back to back regeneration.

Thanks for all the help.

Keith
    Last edited by ktthomas; 08-17-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

you need to check your refill rate. It looks like you are flowing a lot more than .5 GPM.

My math is a little rusty on rectangular tanks but here it goes.

14x16=224 cu. inches per inch of height, so 8" would be approximately 1 Cu. Ft, or 7.5 gallons, , you need 4 gallons so you would have approximately 5" of water, times 2 for salt displacement, add 2 inches for the aircheck, you should have approximately 12" of salt in the brine tank.

The picture of your systems is also a good example of why round brine tanks are preferred to square, unless it is pregnant.

Can someone else here recheck my math? I dont have time today to pull my cheat sheets.

You need to remove the tube at the brine tank and measure it in the refill position. Be sure it is flowing at .5 GPM. I am guessing it is exceeding that considerably. Unless my math is totally wrong.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ditttohead View Post
    The picture of your systems is also a good example of why round brine tanks are preferred to square, unless it is pregnant.
    LOL

I have a square tank and it doesn't bulge like that. They must be making them thinner now.

Quote Originally Posted by ktthomas View Post
    My valve is the Fleck 5600 SXT. Salt tank measures 14" x 16" X 32" tall
    I sold 15 x 17"rectangular salt tanks and never had them change shape. I think they may have been made by Clack.

The white tape mark on the salt tank shows my water line after regen this morn.

It ran for 8 minutes before almost overflowing (and being shut off by the float) at .5 gpm. So it can handle 12 lbs of salt but that would be the max.
    How much salt do you have in it? Otherwise see my last reply..

Gary, I agree with everything stated. I wasn't sure if I should lower to 36K so thanks for clarifying. A few questions; Lowering the time of the brine fill to 8 min at .5 gpm will effectively set it to 12lbs of salt correct ? And since I just regenerated with Iron out this morning should I do it again this evening or omit it from the back to back regeneration.
    The best would be to do the 2 regens with the max salt dose of 23 lbs but, do another one with IO tonight and see how it does for a few weeks with the new programming.

I suggest you buy hardness and iron tests somewhere and test each week for a month or so just before it regenerates. If you see hardness or iron getting through, then do the 2 manual regens at 23 lbs.

Also do the IO with a 1/2 cup in a gallon of water poured into the water in the salt tank once every 4-6 weeks.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

If you are going to do the math on the salt tank then for accuracy sake i should tell you the tank is obviously tapered and the bottom is actually smaller at 12" x 14" and I measure the water line at 21". Even using your displacement value and the new measurement, I still only come up with 14" of height instead of 12". Still a HUGE difference from the 21" that I have. I would then question the accuracy of "times 2 for salt displacement". My guess is the salt on the bottom is probably packed in pretty tight and displacing more water than that and that is why you are seeing the big belly in the middle. But I am only guessing and will defer to the thoughts of others on the board.

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

Have you checked for an air leak somewhere in the brine system? I would think that if the brine tank has that much water in it when a cycle starts, you would get salty water after a regen.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have always seen the Pentair and Clack square and rectangular brine tanks bulge, this is normal, we just tell customers they are pregnant. Some other manufacturers brine tanks are quite thick, and this is not as pronounced. It is not a big deal, the tank will be fine for many years. But this is a good reason to stick with round, anybody who has taken a year of physics would understand the reason.

Salt displacement of the water will vary and for that reason a timed refill, like you have is always uperior to float refill. Did you get a chance to check the refill rate?

Put the system into brine draw, see if the brine water drops, if you have an air leak, the system will typically not draw any water, it is like trying to use a straw with a hole in it.

Good luck, keep us updated.