(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Little iron still in water after brand new Softener installed

Hybrid View

Default Little iron still in water after brand new Softener installed

First some basic background of my situation; I had my house re-plumbed in Oct of 2011 with all new PEX plumbing, water fixtures, toilets, tubs, water sofetner, hot water heater, etc. The only thing I did not replace was the pressure tank because it looked like it had recently been replaced. The water softener is a Fleck SXT 1.5 48,000 with a turbulator. My family is 3 adults 2 toddlers. House has 2 full bathrooms.

After 10 months of use I am starting to see signs of iron in the back of the toilets and on the new white tub (orangish tint) and the tests confirm with the untreated water reading 29 gpg of hardness and 2.2 ppm of iron. The treated water reading is 1 gpg of hardness and .7 ppm of iron.

Although the softener is taking a lot of the iron out, is it possible to reduce that even further ?
    I have the DO set to 5 days, BD=60, BF=15, BW=15, RR=5. Hardness is set at 40

Thanks,
    Keith

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

Have you been using anything to clean the iron off of the resin like iron out? If not, that is the reason you are starting to see iron staining. You should but Super Iron Out from the grocery store and follow the directions to clean the resin.

I have used regular iron out once about 4-5 months ago. Diluted about 1/4 cup in a gallon of water and poured it in the salt tank and regenerated. Maybe I should be doing that more frequently ?

Keith

Dottohead originally posted this and the only thing I would add is that the iron out should be poured into the brine well not over the salt as it will dissipate. Personally, I think you should be using Mortons resin saver salt.

For seriously iron fouled resin (any resin that is used for iron removal will end up as this in time), to clean using Iron out, put the system into regeneration and wait for the brine to be drawn completely into the mineral tank, you will usually hear a sudden change in the brine cycle when the brine check seats to keep air out of the system, then bypass the system and unplug the valve, let it soak for a while, an hour or more is highly recommended, then plug the system back in, put the valve back into service and let it finish it cycles. I would also recommend an extended backwash after this to help remove some of the iron that has been chemically released from the cation resin.

Acids, bases, soaps, etc all work on simple physics, contact time and energy. Higher temperatures can assist in reducing contact time, but I would not recommend pouring boilg water into the brine tank. The amount of pH change will also greatly affect the IO ability to clean the resin.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

I've never used regular Iron Out but with Super Iron Out, I get better results if I stop the clock and turn off the water for an hour after the SIO/brine has drawn out of the brine well.

i just use the salt in the green bags. i think they may already have iron out in them ?

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

With iron out, Super iron out, etc, please use caution. The fumes, and skin contact can be problematic. We used diethylenetriamine penta(methylene phosphonic acid) for years, and the residual odor in the brine tank, especially on larger units where large amounts were required would just about drop you to your knees.

Like Tom said, contact time is critical. The iron out salt is another way to do it, this will help lessen the need for heavy cleaning. You should also consider removing the iron prior to the softener.
    Last edited by ditttohead; 08-16-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks for all the comments.

I guess I was thinking I had more of an issue with some settings on the softener rather than iron already accumulating in the resin, since the softener was less than a year old. i can't say for certain that it ever took all the iron out from day one.

Keith