Life expectancy of galvanized pressure tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

DCS

Reaction score
I've been in my current home 8 years.

We have a galvanized hydro-pneumatic pressure tank with check valve just before the tank, avc valve on the tank, and bleeder orifice down the well. The pump cycles at 35 and 55psi.

Other than changing the old leaky pressure gauge, I've never had to do any maintenance to the water system. Works great! As far as I can tell, this stuff has been in service since the house was built in 1973.

What's the life expantancy of these tanks?

Can the old style systems still be purchased? Vendors?

Thanks!

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
You're water isn't corrosive otherwise you would have already replaced components. I'd say the life expantancy is 10 to 40 years, what's yours:rolleyes:
Yes, vendors still supply replacement parts for your existing system but what worked then isn't necessarily the best today. When you do need to replace components I suggest that you consider installing a Pside-kick http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/products.html. No need for a large tank and you'll have constant pressure while taking a shower. You're wife will love it!

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
It all depends on the quality of the water. They can easily last 50-60 years or more as long as the metal holds up. Old galv. is better than new, it has more sacrificial metal than the new stuff does.

DCS

Reaction score
Thanks guys. The reason I ask is my wife and I were discussing a pump replacement because it is also apparently 39 years old. It got me thinking about which other components I should look at.

We live at the base of a mountain range. The water has enough iron to "orange" the toilet tanks. We just removed two small sections of galvanized iron pipe during a kitchen upgrade, and were pleasantly surprised at how clean they were inside. Nearly-new looking inner walls, with only a tinge of the orange iron color.

Can you recommend a vendor for the old-style components?

Thx!

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have pulled out old John Wood 125psi tanks that were over 50 years old before they started leaking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks