iron removal

Users who are viewing this thread

curt21

Reaction score
Lately I've noticed rust colored staining on toilet bowk and a brownish red residue left on white clothing after wash cycle. My well water also has an odor that is earthy/metallic. I believe the issue is a high iron content. What is the easiest way to remove it: Water softener, sand filter, some type of cartridge filter or something else? A water softener is my last resort but is it the best choice? Thank you

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
While a softener can remove some iron, I don't advocate using one for iron removal. There are backwashing iron filters that do a much better job removing iron. Most work on the principle of aerating the water to oxidize the iron so that it precipitates out to be trapped by the filter media.

curt21

Reaction score
I have a rain fresh whole home filter in my main line - will a ceramic .3 micron filter with a carbon core (as sold by canadian tire, etc.) reduce the iron for a temporary fix?

curt21

Reaction score
Here is another thought/question: I've read online that chlorination can be very beneficial for iron removal, sulfur odor removal, bacteria treatment etc. Since I am running of a shallow well would it be a good idea to regularly treat the well with a certian amount of chlorine solution (the well is a metal casing 24"diameter). I dont use the water for drinking, but would the chlorine be very corrosive to the metal/galvanized casing?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
They do make pellet feeders that drop directly into the well. From what I hear, they can corrode the casing.

If there is a bacteria problem that is causing the smell, the chlorine should help. The chlorine will also oxidize the iron out so that it precipitates to be trapped by a filter.

My well water looks clear when first drawn but let to sit, turns brown and develops what looks like an oily sheen. It has a noticeable smell. I aerate the water with a micronizer and then filter it with a BIRM filter. After that, it no longer has any smell.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks