Toto Aquia Dual Flush - bowl doesn't empty completely

Users who are viewing this thread

hmac

Reaction score
Just installed the Toto Aquia Dual Flush toilet. Fixed slow leak from the tank, thanks to the advice found on this forum about sanding the inside of the tank where the bolts go. It seems to be working "effectively" however the toilet bowl does not seem to entirely empty of water upon flushing. The toilet I had before was huge (20 liters?) and I'm just not sure if this is normal for this type of high effiency toilet.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Big Tank - Little Flush

The 1.6 gallon toilets have tanks that hold a lot more than 1.6 gallons. I just measured my 5 year old American Standard and it holds 3.7 gallons from about 0.5 inch below the overflow to the lower limit of the drain.

I installed an Eljer for a neighbor yesterday and the flush valve closes when the tank is about half empty. If you want a bigger flush, you must hold the lever down longer.

My American Standard came with a little yellow foam float on the flapper chain that kept the float up until the water went down far enough to let the flapper close. I moved the float down as close as possible to the flapper to get more effective flushing.

The big tank half-empty designs have two effects:
1. The higher head gets the water out of the flush tank quicker for a more effective flush.
2. The manufacturers can meet the 1.6 gallon requirement while giving the customers the means to easily get a more effective flush (hence the easily adjustable yellow float).

I suspect that most 1.6 gallon toilet installations use a lot more than 1.6 gallons per flush from from the time you push the lever to the time the tank and bowl are refilled.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
aquia_inside_tank.jpg

Most tanks nowadays can use sanding on the inside.
It's the first thing my guys do now.

There is very little water in the bowl of the Aquia, and yes it does clear.
It's a washdown, not a siphon bowl, so the old water leaves and the new water comes in.
It moves 800 grams in the MaP testing which is very good for any toilet.
I have one in my home, and it's the one everyone wants to use.

Since you've just installed it, you may want to start using it and see how it works with real stuff in it, not just the water.

aquia_top_view.jpg

I find that there is quite a bit of water washing down the sides of the bowl during the flush.

Last edited:

hmac

Reaction score
So far so good

The Aquia is moving the real stuff well, so to speak. I find it relatively quiet compared to the roar that my older toilet would make when emptying. The refill water appears clear too.

Thank you for your prompt replies.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks