Permitting

Users who are viewing this thread

Brett bates

Reaction score
Are you required to pull a permit when paralleling an existing system. I have three bathrooms that need the water piping replaced but no relocation of fixtures and no additional fixtures to be added. Also we will not be replacing the service line. I am looking for the code # in UPC that I can show to the building official that a permit is not required for paralleling an existing system

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If you need a permit or not has nothing to do with the UPC. That is up to your building dept.

John

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A repipe requires a plumbing permit in Washington State. It is after all, still plumbing.

In Guatemala, I saw a lot of copy cat plumbing. Very little of it would have met current plumbing codes.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unless it has been adopted without modification by your local jurisdiction, whatever you may find in the UPC per se is irrelevant. The unamended copy of the UPC I have
at hand is quite clear that the sort of work you describe does require a permit.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe there is something I don't understand. Well, there's a lot I don't understand, but in this case, I don't understand why people seem so reluctant to get a permit to do work. Some even assure us that their job won't be inspected. I find it hard to believe that someone would deliberately do illegal work, so other than a few dollars to verify the work was done properly, what's the big deal. If in doubt, get a permit. If the authorities say it isn't needed, fine, you've saves a few dollars. So what's the big deal about pulling a permit?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A permit is partially to ensure it is done correctly, but MOSTLY to update your building's records so they can increase your taxes to reflect the new status of the building. As far a water repiping is concerned it usually depends on how MUCH is being changed. I believe, but it has been a long time since I checked, that if you change more than 20% of the piping it needs a permit. It is immaterial whether you are "duplicating" an existing system or not.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As long as you do the job in excess of the code requirements, so is avoiding the time and hassle of dealing with the building department and inspectors.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks