Sign of the times. HE washing machine odor

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I had no idea this topic would grow legs like this!!!!!

It seems to be well documented that the top-load HE, due to the way they "cycle" the clothes, the very long cycles, and the lack of water....do cause extraordinary wear and tear on clothes.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
And, in answer to Runs question about, "have I ever mastered the front loader?" You betcha! Just like MIT. But, that is besides the point, lol. I had a front loader and, since, I can read, I read the directions, we used it just as said, and, it cost more in HE detergents, the door would get stuck not open when the cycle was done, repairs on this 800 dollar machine was so much more than a top loader ever, and, even with cleaning the machine and all essential parts, our clothes still did not smell right. So, back to a large top loader, which would wash even a king sized comforter, and, wash only one bra if necessary, extra small load, small load, all size loads, any detergent your heart desires, repairs are so much less, and so less frequent. As, I said, MY opinion and reasons for the choice is as stated. I am 5'3 and I am able to see into the bottom reach into the bottom, whatever. The price of this deluxe top loader was much less in cost than the front loader. I gave the front loader away to a charity on its last repair visit.

Well said. But the charity better have a charitable repairman!

Of course they can build a TRUE washer, hot air dryer combo [which would also kill all mould issues] But they would knock out half their profits. Those dehumidifier jokers are even hated by the europeans that have them in the kitchen and no other space.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Condenser units are fairly somewhat popular in NYC. I had a Miele condenser dryer in our apt when I live in the city. It has a purpose when ducting is not even open for discussion..

Reaction score
It seems to be well documented that the top-load HE, due to the way they "cycle" the clothes, the very long cycles, and the lack of water....do cause extraordinary wear and tear on clothes.

Hadn't heard this, but I haven't examined the top-load HE's closely (really didn't appear to be a viable option a few years ago.) My sister went that route more recently. I'll have to ask her about that after she has it a few years. Of course, the tech still seems to be coming along on the HE top loaders so they might be improved in a few years.

Reaction score
Condenser units are fairly somewhat popular in NYC. I had a Miele condenser dryer in our apt when I live in the city. It has a purpose when ducting is not even open for discussion..

My in-laws had some experience with one while living in Europe. They said it worked okay. I've never used one, but am curious about them.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My in-laws had some experience with one while living in Europe. They said it worked okay. I've never used one, but am curious about them.

Many people in the rest of the world have fewer clothes and wash them much less frequently than we do, so smaller loads, less frequent and this type of washer can make some sense. In a typical US household, those things don't line up...lots of loads would likely take more than one day.

Cookie

Reaction score
Well said. But the charity better have a charitable repairman!

Of course they can build a TRUE washer, hot air dryer combo [which would also kill all mould issues] But they would knock out half their profits. Those dehumidifier jokers are even hated by the europeans that have them in the kitchen and no other space.

I hope so, too.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I may have delted a few posts. If more posts need deleting, just let me know.

My sister has six boys, and likes the front loader. I still have a top loader, so I haven't formed an oppinon yet. I have two types of detergent here. Depending on the one I choose, has some effect on smell. Sorry......that's all I got.
But if'n you want to know what the plumbing in the wall looks like, I can do that.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My several year (limited) experience with a front loader is that I like it. It has not eaten anything, doesn't smell, and uses less water and detergent. I do not use softener on at least one load, and do that one last, so things get rinsed out maybe more than for someone that uses it each load. Some things just don't want softener in them to work right (IMO towels, a lot of high-tech athletic wear, etc.). I washed a big comfortor that would not fit into my old machine, at least not without shreading it in the process. The thing weighs a ton and doesn't rock or vibrate when spinning. During start up, it adds a little water then rocks things back and forth to spread things out evenly while weighing the load to determine the amount of water to use.

The only thing I've noticed is that a cycle tends to take longer than with my toploader. But, it makes up for the total time by needing less time in the dryer since it extracts water better. Mine does have a steam setting, but I've not had something that needed that (yet!). That may make the cycle time quite long. It also has the ability to heat the water to sanitize, but I tend to use its silver ion cycle more often (silver ions kill bacteria and viruses). that may also be a factor in keeping any smells down.

My guess is, that if yours has a sanitize cycle, running that once in awhile might disolve any buildup and clean things out. No buildup, no food for anything to grow in, no smells.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score

If you run a condenser dryer to completion, you have injected just the same amount of water into the air as a FAST heating element. And who wants to pay for a little refrigerator inside their washer? No windows in NYC? I can get you a 7cf dryer for about $299, US made. But again, they wont build it [combo] because it would kill a whole plant somewhere.

Well, maybe thats not so bad after all.

I have to admit I grew up with a front loader. Starting working for Dad at age 8. This front loader was as big as your cubed car, and used [thank god] the old cleaning fluid which was essentially paint thinner. Talk about a spin cycle! If you threw a hog in there it would come out as a pancake. And NO vibration. No good for urine and such. The dirty secret of drycleaning plants is the big laundry hidden in the back! That was my job too- an old speed queen with a seperate extractor for a few bold customers that brought in things you wouldnt believe. We still have about 500 pocket knives and rolled a ton of coins every week. The big wads of cash we gave back. No employee ever got to check a pocket.

But we preferred the OLD machines - giant top loaders like a barbeque lid opening. Much easier to load, and they were from the first ever made - and never broke like the new front loader often did.

And imagine that dad and gramps could still make you a new suit and pants in the 70's. Those days are dead. About all thats left is a few comforters they sewed from old wool suit sample book swatches starting about 1918. Warmest things on earth and probably should go to auction.

All the machines had DE and cloth filter systems, so no fluid was consumed except thru drying. Again, the new Bill Gates will design a washer with a DE filter that uses the same water for a year. Look at your pool - awfully clean, eh?

Last edited:
Reaction score
My several year (limited) experience with a front loader is that I like it. It has not eaten anything, doesn't smell, and uses less water and detergent.
To add to this, I have had exactly one pair of shorts damaged by the front loader, the only damage so far. (This is much less than the average annual damage from the top loader that we've experienced...it had expensive tastes.) Somehow, on a very full load those shorts got wedged between the gasket and rubbed the gasket on every rev throughout the cycle from what I could tell troubleshooting. The shorts are still wearable in public, but do have hole in a pocket. They actually look like they were made that way... The gasket took some wear, but nothing critical. Led me to investigate cost and difficulty of what gasket replacement might be. I felt better once I checked these.

The only thing I've noticed is that a cycle tends to take longer than with my toploader. But, it makes up for the total time by needing less time in the dryer since it extracts water better.

Very true, the wash cycle is noticeably longer. One of the funny things in reviews is folks buying sets and saying how much better the dryer does! They don't seem to realize that the dryer is working better because the washer is doing the majority of the work for the dryer. The front loaders take longer than the original top loaders. We set all wash cycles manually to max spin speed to minimize drying cost.

I ran a Kill-a-watt meter on the washer when I first had it, it uses considerably less total juice than the standard top loaders did even when the new unit is set to its fastest spin setting. Couple that with the drying reduction and it is a winner.

Just more engineer geek fun.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Many people in the rest of the world have fewer clothes and wash them much less frequently than we do, so smaller loads, less frequent and this type of washer can make some sense. In a typical US household, those things don't line up...lots of loads would likely take more than one day.

The one they used had a condensate reservoir that had to be periodically emptied when in use. They indicated that another user would not empty the thing and couldn't understand why it didn't dry! It worked for them.

I don't doubt that it would be slow. Relying on some sort of heating and condensation system is going to result in much lower heat flux. Coupling it with high spin speed HE's might balance things. Relative humidity of the climate and ambient for the dryer would make a difference too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks