Looking for an articulating shower armature for a special purpose

Users who are viewing this thread

pderas

Reaction score
Hi Terry,

I'm looking for an articulating shower arm for a disabled vet who is a double (leg) amputee.
I'd like the articulating shower arm to be mounted on the rear wall of the shower and stand off the wall when extended so that it sprays on his head and body instead of toward the room. The shower space will be 30" wide, so I would need about a 15" extension.

Is there such a thing?

Thanks,

Peggy Deras, CKD, CID

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Why wouldn't a rigid 15" long shower arm with a 90 degree down turn work without "articulation"? There are many of these made, in various lenghts, for use with "rainfall" shower heads.

pderas

Reaction score
Why rigid won't work

Thanks for the thought.
I've already considered these.
They won't work because the arm needs to fold out of the way of other shower users in the family who would be standing.
I had been considering a handheld mounted on the right end with an additional mount on the back wall for the amputee, who would be seated on a bench on the left end.
The more I thought about this, the more I realized the long hose will make the handheld quite "droppable". Then how does the amputee retrieve it?
The hose would pull it toward the right side of the shower floor, dangerously out of his reach.
So I started thinking about a separate showerhead on the back wall.
Problem there is that it would point toward the curtained opening when mounted. Guaranteed flood.
Thence the articulated idea.
I found a few, but none long enough to get out in front of him and none with a handheld either (though that would not be absolutely necessary if I can come up with the articulating arm that positions the head where he needs it).
I may be looking for something that is just too specialized to have a market.
Does anyone do custom parts like this?

Peggy

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks