Reasonable cost of installing new water pressure bladder tank from well

Users who are viewing this thread

joe snell

Reaction score
hey you

Recently had to replace bladder type water pressure tank from well.
Plumber ordered and installed 50 gallon Flex Lite tank (disposing of the old tank).
We were charged $1200. A friend questions this price as way too high.
We got plumber on recommendation of neighbor and our new to this.
Was this a reasonable price?

Thank you.

Dmojr

you got ripped off big time, a bladder tank can be 2-4 hundred dollars. i installed my own is about 3 hours.

633Elsinoor

Reaction score
changing a water tank requires a 15 minute apprenticeship, a 4$ set of harbor fright tools, and 4 hours of OJT, and a few beers.

I just wonder what a Plumber would do when he encouters this device in the pumphouse:

http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/SymCom-233P-ENCL/

Plumbers dont know a ammeter, capacitor, relay, or multi meter from a Venetian opera. If they DO, they dont have the Franklin aim book in their truck, so its all shoot from the hip "Yah, time to pull it all out" to the waterless weepy home mom.

Plumbers know pipe, solder, valves [well, some] and glue. And how to get a turd out of a 3" line. the WELL man stocks the tanks, and will be in and out in an hour. And an honest one will find an electrical issue 99% of the time when there is no water. Never met a plumber that could trouble shoot pump power and amp draw.

The well and pump man is a surgeon. The plumber is the guy that puts the stitches in.

Wow. What an ass.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
$1200.00 is too cheap for that tank. With a new T and fittings package, including removal and disposal of the old tank that job is worth $1500.00 installed with a five yr warranty on the tank and one year guaranty on the installation.

Here in Ct the pump license is a sub category of the plumbing license. However, there are a lot of plumbers that don't know squat about troubleshooting pumps or pump/well problems.

Ball valve made reference to a few beers, he must had a few too many when he wrote those comments.

Forrester

Reaction score
Recently had to replace bladder type water pressure tank from well.
Plumber ordered and installed 50 gallon Flex Lite tank (disposing of the old tank).
We were charged $1200. A friend questions this price as way too high.
We got plumber on recommendation of neighbor and our new to this.
Was this a reasonable price?

Thank you.

Dmojr
I realize it's been a few years since this post. And, I probably got ripped off. I insisted on the WellXtrol bladder tank b/c the one we have now is 25 years old and still going (although the plumber said it was down to 9psi right before he removed it). He didn't even want to replace it but if you're here changing plumbing from the exterior wall to the treatment tank, might was well replace a 25 yr old tank. I know WellXtrol costs more than the State brand he wanted to put in and if this new WellXtrol lasts even 20 years, it'll be worth it. But, I'm in Virginia - caught between two major metropolitan cities so I paid $1,625 for the tank and installation. The job appears to have been done well. Plumber was Master Plumber but I find it amazing that we had them rework (with CPVC up to the point of the treatment tanks since our water is acidic) and THAT labor/materials was only $625. The changes we wanted seemed more labor intensive than putting in the tank. Mind you, my bill was quite higher than the $1,625 for the work we had done. If the well pump ever goes out, I'll call the well folks who put the well in to begin with. I wished I'd only looked through my large box of invoices when the house was built to see if the well folks had also put the WellXtrol in. Live and learn. Moral of the story: get a few quotes and I'll ALWAYS insist on WellXtrol.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In this area, a 75 gallon gas water heater, installed, can cost $2,500.00 OR, it can cost $5,000.00 it depends on who you have do it. Your well tank is the same way.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I realize it's been a few years since this post. And, I probably got ripped off. I insisted on the WellXtrol bladder tank b/c the one we have now is 25 years old and still going (although the plumber said it was down to 9psi right before he removed it). He didn't even want to replace it but if you're here changing plumbing from the exterior wall to the treatment tank, might was well replace a 25 yr old tank. I know WellXtrol costs more than the State brand he wanted to put in and if this new WellXtrol lasts even 20 years, it'll be worth it. But, I'm in Virginia - caught between two major metropolitan cities so I paid $1,625 for the tank and installation. The job appears to have been done well. Plumber was Master Plumber but I find it amazing that we had them rework (with CPVC up to the point of the treatment tanks since our water is acidic) and THAT labor/materials was only $625. The changes we wanted seemed more labor intensive than putting in the tank. Mind you, my bill was quite higher than the $1,625 for the work we had done. If the well pump ever goes out, I'll call the well folks who put the well in to begin with. I wished I'd only looked through my large box of invoices when the house was built to see if the well folks had also put the WellXtrol in. Live and learn. Moral of the story: get a few quotes and I'll ALWAYS insist on WellXtrol.

A PK1A pressure tank kit would have saved space and worked better than a regular pressure tank. You would have had stronger constant pressure in the house and the kit is only $375.00.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks