(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reasonable cost of installing new water pressure bladder tank from well

Here's some work done by a plumber. I know of zero well and pump guys capable of this and even if they were they couldn't touch it without a plumbing license. Maybe you should move out of hillbilly county LOL

Name:  ForumRunner_20120814_163713.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  40.6 KBName:  ForumRunner_20120814_163743.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  36.5 KB
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar

While I'm not doubting your folks do good work, in my experience they are the exception rather than the rule.

I suspect the work shown above would not pass in CA because of seismic zone considerations--I'm not seeing straps and the like.
    Last edited by Runs with bison; 08-15-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: missing "not"

Wasn't done in California. An experienced, licensed professional plumber from Connecticut did that work. What you don't see is the pump and piping in the well which he also did. I can't speak for California but in the North East I'd bet that better than 75% of the plumbers regularly sell, install and service pumps and filtration equipment. My own company has 13 plumbers and they all work on such. We sell a lot of pumps, tanks, pipe, filtration and the like. It's part of the trade and where some folks get the notion that it is not is beyond me or more likely just ignorance on their part.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

A good plumber can follow a blueprint, which this extraordinarily weird setup had to have. That pump went out of favor about 40 years ago, by the way. Must be a regional thing. The sticks is MAINE, by the way.

Plumbers, in most parts do not touch wells, thanks be to god. And foolish to say a pump and well guy cant do that bizarre concoction of pipes.

Mine is bigger than yours... Lol,

I carry mine in a wheelbarrow

Default hey you

Quote Originally Posted by dmojr View Post
    Recently had to replace bladder type water pressure tank from well.
    Plumber ordered and installed 50 gallon Flex Lite tank (disposing of the old tank).
    We were charged $1200. A friend questions this price as way too high.
    We got plumber on recommendation of neighbor and our new to this.
    Was this a reasonable price?

Thank you.

Dmojr
    you got ripped off big time, a bladder tank can be 2-4 hundred dollars. i installed my own is about 3 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    changing a water tank requires a 15 minute apprenticeship, a 4$ set of harbor fright tools, and 4 hours of OJT, and a few beers.

I just wonder what a Plumber would do when he encouters this device in the pumphouse:

http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/SymCom-233P-ENCL/

Plumbers dont know a ammeter, capacitor, relay, or multi meter from a Venetian opera. If they DO, they dont have the Franklin aim book in their truck, so its all shoot from the hip "Yah, time to pull it all out" to the waterless weepy home mom.

Plumbers know pipe, solder, valves [well, some] and glue. And how to get a turd out of a 3" line. the WELL man stocks the tanks, and will be in and out in an hour. And an honest one will find an electrical issue 99% of the time when there is no water. Never met a plumber that could trouble shoot pump power and amp draw.

The well and pump man is a surgeon. The plumber is the guy that puts the stitches in.
    Wow. What an ass.

Nah, just trying to gt a rise

$1200.00 is too cheap for that tank. With a new T and fittings package, including removal and disposal of the old tank that job is worth $1500.00 installed with a five yr warranty on the tank and one year guaranty on the installation.

Here in Ct the pump license is a sub category of the plumbing license. However, there are a lot of plumbers that don't know squat about troubleshooting pumps or pump/well problems.

Ball valve made reference to a few beers, he must had a few too many when he wrote those comments.