(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: u drain trap removal cost estimate

Default u drain trap removal cost estimate

i am not a plumber nor am i knowledgable of the lingo but because of a persistent problem i am contemplating having the U drain trap removed. our house was built in 1925 and we live in brooklyn new york. the trap is the original one. in the basement there is a "pit" which contains the U drain trap which has two covers (house side and street side). we keep having backups on the house side from toilet paper. we have never had a backup from the street. i would like to have the trap removed and not replaced. i know this would totally eliminate our problem. what would be an approximate cost estimate for this kind of job?

No way to tell without seeing it and knowing the pricing schedule in your area.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    No way to tell without seeing it and knowing the pricing schedule in your area.
    For what it's worth, we have been using Maccarone Plumbing in Glen Cove, and are pleased with their service and competence. In my neighborhood in Manhattan, I see their trucks all the time because the building managers in the area would rather bring them in from Glen Cove than use someone more local. They do serve all 5 boroughs. 516-671-3232 www.maccaroneplumbing.com

Also, if maybe the issue is just it hasn't been thoroughly-cleaned when you have had a problem, Danny at Ranger Sewer in Suffolk does great drain cleaning work at a comparatively-low price. He was recommended to us by a highly-respected member of this site, and it was a first-class recommendation. He came through for us at a reasonable price when everyone else was ready to bring in a backhoe and charge us thousands of dollars; Danny blew the line open with a truck-mounted water jet machine and then camera-inspected it to make sure it was clean and pristine, which it was when he was done.
    Last edited by wjcandee; 07-27-2013 at 09:59 AM.

House traps are ALWAYS a problem, regardless of how well they are cleaned.

thanks for your replies. i think i am going to have the trap removed based on last reply. i received an estimate for $1000. is this fair?

There is no way we can give you even a ballpark idea on pricing at job like this. It really requires and on site examination because there are factors that have to be considered including location of the trap, what has to be done to access it, condition of the rest of the drain, and certainly the local cost of labor. Best thing to do is to get 3 estimates from different plumbing contractors and check their references. If one estimate is way lower than the rest, be skeptical. If one is way higher, assume he doesn't really want the job.

i had gotten two estimates so far from reputable plumbers in the area and the reason i asked was because i thought $1000 was expensive but the other was for 3000! i wanted a ballpark figure even with the understanding that labor costs are different across the country. i want to determine if either figure is fair pricing or should i continue getting estimates (i can find out what local rates are and of course but the only problem would be the time it took). if it helps the drain is located in a 5' deep pit and a plumbing/contractor/friend who did some work for me in the past said the drain was fine and felt i should keep the trap or replace it.

quote; e i thought $1000 was expensive but the other was for 3000! i wanted a ballpark figure even with the understanding that labor costs are different across the country. i want to determine if either figure is fair pricing or shou

From your first description, it depends on how much room is in the pit, but they may be giving you a "ballpark" figure that includes the pitcher's salary.