(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Dishwasher drain

Default Dishwasher drain

Hello. I am getting ready to replace my ~20 year old dishwasher and took a look under the kitchen sink to find a separate drain for the dishwasher (dishwasher rubber discharge hose connected to copper pipe in Photo1). I also took a look in the crawlspace under the kitchen where these two pipes pass through the floor. There are p-traps on the sink drain and dishwasher drain underneath the floor before they connect into the main stack.

1. Should I continue to use this separate drain line? or use the dishwasher drain connection on the garbage disposer and cap the dishwasher drain line?
    2. Is there any benefit to having a separate dishwasher drain line?

Thanks.

Photo1

Photo2

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Well, what you have is not up to code! In most places, the trap must be above the floor, plus, if you actually have a second trap below the floor for the sink, that's not up to code either. The top one is a S-trap, which is not valid, either. Where is the vent, if there is one?
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I don't see a vent. The main stack is a couple of feet away and each of these drain lines have separate connections to the main stack. Was this ever up to code (built in the late 60s) or just a hack plumbing job?

In addition to what Jim just posted, a DW drain is supposed to connect to the sink drain via the disposal if you have one or via a special wye tail piece the connects to the sink drain. In addition, the DW drain line should be connected to an air gap on top of the counter to prevent a backflow of contaminated water from the sink drain from getting into the DW. Some places allow a high loop of the DW line that loops above the DW. It looks like you have somewhat of a handyman version of a high loop. You definitely need to rework the entire sink drain to comply with code. The S trap is illegal everywhere.