Strange oversized kitchen sink drain basket

Users who are viewing this thread

CharlieNH

Reaction score
I have an old SS sink unit, and on one side there is a larger than standard drain basket, probably as a replacement for a waste grinder. I'm trying to find a strainer of any type that will work in this basket. I'm also curious as to what the basket originally came from, since no plumbing supplier I've talked to has any clue. The rim of the basket is 5-3/4" and fits perfetly in the recessed 6" lip. The inside of the basket is about 4-3/8". Does anyone have any idea about where to find a suitable strainer? Thanks for any advice.
Charlie

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Probably need to identify the brand of the old disposer...maybe printed on the sink flange. That basket may be an accessory from that company.

CharlieNH

Reaction score
Actually the disposal is gone and the basket came from a junk shop and had to be adapted. I can't find oversized baskets of strainers anywhere.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Disposers, not Disposals, use a standard size sink opening, UNLESS they are commercial models and then they have a special sink opening that would not fit a basket strainer. I am not sure what you have, but a picture might help.

CharlieNH

Reaction score
Let me see if I can get a picture posted here.
large basket without strainer.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks