I did this under DEP, VHA and FHA oversight for Coliform and E-coli bacteria remediation for both private and commercial wells.
Do they mention anything about a minimum PPM of FREE chlorine or just total chlorine? I'm thinking you don't know the importance of that slight but serious difference. I can tell you from years of actually shocking wells for customers that a shotgun approach is much better than Olympic target rifle accuracy at a 1000 meters.
And last but not least, how much water was in the 6" well that you used to be able to know the PPM and number of pints for this reply? I ask because you question me about the depth of the well. What I said was a half gallon per 100' of WATER IN THE WELL so I did mention the volume of water.
I guess you think the whole well is full of water and it's all usable? It's not because all the water below the pump inlet is unusable. And bleach being heavier than water sinks to the bottom of the well. Do the college or government guys mention that or using the garden hose? The last I looked they didn't.
A puff of odor at first water use after it has not been used for hours is usually due to odor producing gas in the water rising in the plumbing system to the highest points overtime.
I'd leave the prefilter cartridge out. I'd also run some Iron Out or Super IO through the softener.
I have contacted a few online resellers and all of them have told me I need to add chlorine injection. I'm still skeptical of chlorine.
Could a properly sized water softener and a properly sized backwashing carbon filter (not a disposable) potentially solve my problems? Wouldn't the water softener remove the small amount of iron and the carbon filter remove the H2S gas, if it is gas?
Worst case scenario I see is that this doesn't solve the problem, then I probably have to add a chlorinator at that point anyway? But if I go the softener/carbon filter route and it works, I might save $1000 not having to add chlorine injection/a holding tank.
Last edited by Bobby Jordan; 08-09-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Yeah I know, if if if..... If you wanted to grow bacteria, carbon is an excellent medium to do that in.
If you need to use a disinfection, instead of a solution feeder/injection system, check out the dry pellet erosion chlorinator and the mixing/retention tank at the link below and if you call them mention my name;
I suggest a back washed Centaur carbon filter.
I don't want to grow bacteria, but I also don't want to buy a chlorinator if it is not necessary You seem to imply I shouldn't use carbon, or that carbon should only be used in conjunction with chlorine? That makes sense if there is a bacteria problem, and I will test for bacteria if I go that route to make sure there are none. Maybe another issue is that with well water you cannot completely kill off all the bacteria as they could be in the aquifer itself? I don't know the answer to that question.
I know. lol
I treated a lot of water just like yours for many years and dealt with many guys with your type of thinking which is normal.
By the time you pay for those tests you mentioned, you'll probably have a couple hundred dollars less... And I say there is only one fool proof way to go, and that's to use chlorination/filtration from the beginning.
Otherwise there are no guarantees except you may have to go to chlorination later if you don't go with it now and by them you may need new carbon.
So shock your well again my way and go from there.
Yes, I understand how to subtract the static water level from the well depth, and I know you do too, so I didn't use the proper words of water column height vs. well depth. Sorry.
I don't think the site I quoted mentioned the hose method, but several other sites on how to shock a well do. And I agree with you that more chlorine is better than not enough, at least to a point... it's easy to get TOO much and potentially harm parts in the system. So knowing what the correct amount of chlorine to use, and using at least that much or a little more is pretty important, I'd wager. But getting less than required may just waste time, eh?
Only in Canada you say?
To accomplish this, a large volume of chlorinated water is siphoned down the well to displace all the water in the well and some of the water in the formation surrounding the well.
Last edited by LLigetfa; 08-09-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: typo
Chlorine damages 'stuff' and it doesn't matter much if more than needed is used but I'd like you to tell us how anyone, especially at a university or with the government, can say how much is correct for anyone's well without knowing the chlorine demand of the water and without using FREE chlorine instead of total chlorine content.
BTW, when I first started posting on the internet in Jan 1997 in Usenet Newsgroups (now Google Groups) and then on forums, I had been shocking wells for about 10 years, and no one but me was using the hose down the well (or smelling for chlorine at the faucets etc. etc.). As time went by I saw more and more guys saying to use it but no government or university types suggesting it. That's because they don't have to live with the results of doing it their way and especially for customers.
Just wanted to add that ozone is a very powerful oxidizer and disinfectant, and superior to chlorine in many ways for the OP's problem.
And I'll add that although that is true, and ozone works much faster than any other disinfectant but... ozone is difficult to get to work and very expensive. Thereby it is not very popular.
Part of the problem with ozone is that the manufacturers of ozone equipment haven't established a minimum volume that all ozone generators should produce. And there are two very different means to produce ozone. And in most of the country an air dryer is required because you can't produce much ozone using humid air. Air dryers cause increased and expensive maintenance and cost of operation.
What are the chances a chlorine injector will work without a retention tank? I'm thinking of space issues in terms of laying things out. I'm going to go home today and measure out the area to see how much room I have to set things up.
I think I'm going to shock the well again with ~2 gallons of bleach this weekend too.