Removed jet pump, installed submersible and now have dirty/orange water.

Users who are viewing this thread

BKLang2000

Reaction score
Hello,

I just completed the installation of a new 10 gallon 1/2 hp submersible with all new parts; i.e. pump, 1" poly, wiring, bladder tank and all of the needed parts. Only thing left that is original is the copper plumbing in the house. We removed a 50 year old deep well jet pump with a galvanized conventional tank. The well is over 200 years old, was hand dug and is lined for the first 30 feet with 2 foot sections of 4" inside diameter terra cotta. The terra cotta sections are not in a straight line, so I purchased a 3" submersible that would fit with limited trouble. The depth of the well is 77 feet, water level is at 42 feet and pump is 6 feet from the bottom. The old jet inlet was 7 feet from the bottom. This setup is located in PA under neath the porch of a house that was built in 1787. The old and now new system was and will be winterized yearly. Upon spring setup we used to get a small orange discoloration in the water. The pump was installed one week ago. We ran the pump to make sure that it was connected correctly and we had plenty of water and pressure. The balance of the system was installed yesterday. After final hookup, we ran the pump, filled some glass jars and the water was clear....a nice surprise given that the old system took a while to settle.
After filling the hot water tank and bringing the system up to full pressure (40/60), the water started to turn orange. We let it settle for one day, but the water is still orange...quite noticeable in the toilet bowl.

Please advise,

Brian

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
A 1/2 HP 10 GPM sub will pump much more water than any comprable jet pump....so now you're seeing stuff that you wouldn't normally see. Also with a conventional tank you have a little room for settling and with a bladder tank everything that comes in goes out. Keep using it and see if it improves. Good luck.

Wondering

Reaction score
I would also think some of this maybe coming from the insides of your pipes in the house. Over the years the orange has slowly built up and with a stronger system/more pressure it is washing this out of the pipes. You did say it started after you set pressure to 40/60 right? That should clear up after a while as Wellman said.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks