Blocked off clean out?

Users who are viewing this thread

markbair

Reaction score
I'm new the forum and look forward to the help!

I live in a house that was built in 2006 and I am the second owner. While installing a home filtration unit and looking to tap into the cleanout for the backwash drain on the outside of the home I ran into a little snag. I battled to get the cleanout cap off and found that it was glued on! This cleanout is right on the other side of the kitchen, so it makes sense to be there, but this is what I found.

markbair-01.jpg

You can see the glue holding the cap to the coupler.

markbair-02.jpg

Once I pulled the coupler off with the cap, I found the cleanout completely sealed off. I'm not sure what is sealing it though. It looks and feels like some type of epoxy, but it is perfectly flat. I scratched on it with a nail and it does feel like some type of hardened epoxy. I have no idea what is on the other side of it and I really want to use this as a drain. (Air gapped of course) Does anyone have any idea what this is or have you ever seen this before?

markbair-03.jpg

Thank you again for any insight you can give!

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well obviously if you want to put a drain there you're going to have to open up the wall and rebuild that section of piping. Doesn't much matter
what the perpetrator of that job originally had in mind.

markbair

Reaction score
I figured that was next. I was hoping you would say "yeah, that is always in the cleanout, you have to drill it out". I guess not.

The builder of this house is in a class action lawsuit right now. Maybe I should join it...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a plastic "knock out" test plug. Punch a hole in it and hook it with a piece of wire to keep it from falling down the drain, then use a hammer and screwdriver to "cut it loose" around the edges. It was apparently some plumber's "cute" idea to make it non-user friendly when the cleanout was needed.

markbair-04.jpg

markbair

Reaction score
Hj, you just made my day! I was trying to think of another way to run that drain line and this is much easier. I'm surprised he used so much glue. (You can see it "pooled" in the bottom of the pipe) Thank you so much for the help.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Hj, you just made my day! I was trying to think of another way to run that drain line and this is much easier. I'm surprised he used so much glue. (You can see it "pooled" in the bottom of the pipe) Thank you so much for the help.
I'm guessing It's in an 18" crawler. I would scoot in there and cut it behind test cap ,add coupling,Ect

markbair

Reaction score
Boston1,

Oddly enough, as soon as I cut it out, I could see that it is actually a Tee set vertically with the long end going up and down, and short part of the Tee extending out of the wall where the plug was. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks