3 way timer switch

Users who are viewing this thread

lambed3

Reaction score
I am trying to add a digital timer switch to a 3 way configuration. I got the switch to work with one issue, it only works if the 1st switch in the circuit is in the on position. Please note that the other switch is a standard on off switch. If I turn the 1st switch off, I cannot turn the lights on from the digital timer. If I have it on, then the timer works perfectly to control the lights. To make matters a little more interesting, I do not have the more common configuration for 3 way switches. I have the configuration in the attached diagram where one switch flows through the second junction box to the lights. The digital timer is in the #2 position in the diagram below.

Can anyone help me to get this working correctly? Do I just need a second digital switch or am I SOL to get the timer to work with this setup?

wiring2l.gif

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All switches in the circuit must be designed for 3-way circuitry - you can't use a simple on/off switch in a 3-way circuit. The timer you have may or may not be able to work in a 3-way circuit. Without knowing what you have, there's no way to tell you how to make it work.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
If your wiring at the matches the illustration a digital timer may not work since there is no neutral at either switch location.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks