Lowering a Kitchen Sink Drain Line

Users who are viewing this thread

morpheusmurals

Reaction score
Hello,

I just installed a 10" undermount sink- used to have a 8" above. Nice surprise when I figured out the drain line was too high.

I am planning on cutting open the wall to lower the drain in the main line.

Couple questions:
Currently the main drain travels 24" horizontally connected with a Tee at the 2" main line. That 2" pipe is vented to the roof. Is that vented correctly?

Can I just open that line and do the same thing lowering it to the appropriate height? Is the Tee creating a vent? Can I use a Fernco Quick Tee to make the new connection? The line is galvanized pipe.

Do I need to slop the horizontal line downward toward the main line?

I attached a photo when the wall was open. Of course now it is all drywalled and has a nice cabinet in front.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Kitchen Ren113.jpg
    Kitchen Ren113.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 537

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Cut the T out with enough pipe beneath and above to allow for a stub to be glued into a pvc (or abs, whatever is generally used in your area) to a sanitary T (I can never remember if that must be a sanitary T or a wye - since above is a vent, I think a sanitary T is okay), not a t like is there now, and a stub above then use nohub connectors to reattach that new assembly that you cut out. The pipe coming up from below is likely a revent from something below (maybe the laundry or a sink in the basement?). Note that, depending on what's above, once you cut the pipe, it might move. To ensure that doesn't happen, you might want to install a hanger brace.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks