Sears pump 390.2518 long running time to reach 60PSI

Users who are viewing this thread

olaskok

Reaction score
I have a desert house that is using an in ground water tank . the system has a pressure tank and a sears pump 390.2518. The pump does ok but it started taking a long time for the pressure to run from 55 psi to 60 psi. Can I adjust the pressure down to 55 to reduce running time. It seems that the pump is running 4 times longer to reach the 60 psi than it used to. I am not sure on the run time but it has increased. once the pressure is reached and there is no demand on the system the pressure holds. so I do not think there is a leak. I took the cover plate off of the pressure switch and there are two springs and adjstment nuts one larger than the other. I assume that the pump is starting to fail ( impellers?) but replacing it is going to be a job. So I thought I could turn the pressure down in order to reduce the load on the pump. Please help - thanks

IndyBob

Reaction score
First, remember that there is 120v or 220v that is easily touched. What brand pressure switch is it? If it is Square D, then the larger nut raises and lowers both the cut-in and cut-off at the same time. The smaller nut increases or decreases the gap between the cut-in and cut-out. Loosening the spring on the larger nut (counterclockwise) should lower the pressure. I would avoid the smaller nut unless you want to change the gap. If the smaller nut is too loose, the pump will never turn off because the cut-in and cut-off are too close together.

olaskok

Reaction score
thank you I only visit the house once a month during the summer 110 degrees. I will follow your suggestion and I post my result THANKS

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like either the pump is worn, there is something stuck in the venturi or the line to the pressure switch is plugged up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks