A night out at the VFW

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
Alright Terry, you have posted so much about your nights out at dance clubs, that I finally, took up an offer with a girlfriend to go dancing. Now, I don't dance well. I got more than 2 feet. I have no rythmn and no beat to what I do. I look like I am having some sort of spasms but, I did it anyway. I danced. I danced the night away! I was at work, when she called again begging for me to go since she is newly divorced and all our friends are married but us, two. So, after much thought, I thought, " what the hell." So, she calls back making me rush at work, but, telling me she is watching everyone going in and all the men & women are old, I said, and asked the wrong question, lol, " how old?" She said, " like 50's, 60's." I grunted, thinking, geez, I am old... I am 58! I am old, lol. Then, I thought Terry, well, more for me. :)

So, I get down there an hour late, and, I walked in, and, was greeted within minutes by an older man. Then, another, and another... Chris said, that no one had approached her until, I got there. I said initially, " no thanks" to their asking me to dance. Then, it was too funny, all these gin & tonics were lining up. I told Chris that I am not drinking them they are all probably, laced with Liquid X. :) I SAW that movie like the rest of the female population.

This guy came up asked Chris to dance, he was her age, behind him, his friend, who said, to me, " I would ask you to dance but my shoe lace is untied." Well, being the good kind helpful soul I am I said, " do you want me to tie your shoe for you?" He had to be in his 80's. He then, laughed and said, " geez, it worked," I said, " what worked?" Then, I got it, lol. He said, " you are so sweet to offer to tie my shoe, you are nice" he tied his shoe and asked me to dance. Well, how could I resist that.

Wally, who was the first guy who asked me to dance, came back up saying, " can I ask how old you are?" I said, " sure, 28." He looked, and then, said, " I thought 35 I was close." WOW. I couldn't let him think I was 28, lol, so, I told him the truth, and, he said, " WOW, I am 55! You are 5 years older than me!" Then, he walked away, LOL. How funny. Wally, only digs the younger chicks? LOL.

Wally, his real name, was trying to impress me initially with his car. lol. I felt like I was back in high school. It was one year old and he was divorced, and said, about his car, and how his last girlfriend was so taken by it, all she wanted was rides to everywhere. I didn't want to burst his bubble, so, I didn't say anything, but, I actually, have 2 cars, one a jeep I gave to my son. When, I started to tell Wally about my grandson and how he is verbally fantastic he disappeared. lol.

At first, I hadn't noticed the disco ball. Then, it dawned on me, and, I told Chris, oh my God, Chris I haven't seen one of those in 2 decades. I was watching all the men lined up thinking about my high school dances. The men were dressed fine, but, then, I started to notice the apparel of the women my age. I was stunned. I told Chris, if I ever look like that she to is slap me silly. One woman doing the cha cha in a too short, too tight, zebra print dress and she was flailing her arms so much I asked Chris if she was bringing in planes. Every woman I looked at my age, had so much make-up on, I couldn't find where the eyes started and ended. One woman I was talking to fluttered her huge duster-feather like fake eyelashes so fast and hard, they were like miniature personal fans & were cooling me down. I told Chris she had a bra on with built-in floor jacks & the petite rose that she had tatooed on years ago was now a distorted looking long stem rose. lol.

There I was was, just from work, dressed modestly, minimal make-up, and dancing like I was on seizure meds. Chris told me to quit clowning around, and I said, " hey this is the best I do." And, " it gets worse with each drink."

We had a great time, I was kidding her, that we should slow dance together and then, afterwards yell, " Chick-Fil-A!" We could had cleared the dance floor and had it all by ourselves. But, instead, she said that she only goes for the tall women, not someone short. "Short? You think, I am short?" I said, " I am vertically challenged and don't forget it." She is 6 foot tall and replaces all the high lightbulbs in my house.

Since, I had a great time, we are doing this again in 2 weeks. :) Terry, you were right they are fun.

There was one guy, I told Chris, I wouldn't mind meeting. But, he never came over. Wasn't meant to be I told Chris, I had nothing to impress him with, my car is ancient, my eyelashes are real, my dancing makes me look like I am in pain, and, I have no tats of wierd looking flowers. She kept walking me in circles around him though, it was funny, I told her to stop, I felt like I was stalking him. :)

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Terry, tell Sue, I will put an update here in 2 weeks, lol. You and her are going to have to start dancing! and post pics. :) Maybe, I will try to sneak in a few next time I go. Maybe, the disco ball, :) I got my son possibly going he and his girlfriend. They will be the youngest people there! It was fun.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
So Cookie, did your friend take any pictures of you and her to post here? sounds like you had a fun experience finally.

Cookie

Reaction score
We really did! I think, like I was telling another friend because I grew up going to the American Legions with my dad, he was once a commander, Post 681. We went to all the functions and I loved it, we would dance the night away! He loved to dance, and he would dip me, lol. I was 13 and my first "crush" was on one of the members. I even remember his name, Ed Brown. My poor dad... lol, he knew and said, " Bub, (what he used to call me ) he is married. ( and, probably 3 times my age, lol.) but, at 13, I was innocent and didn't know better.

That, and it reminded me of my high school dances we shared with the all boy catholic high school, I went to an all-girl catholic high school, and I loved those dances. All the boys would line up and, then, I had a crush on a boy named, Rudy. Eventually, at one of those dances I met the boy I shared many years with, Rich, and, he would eventually ask me to marry him, I said, no, because 6 months earlier, I met the love of my life, Tim. I knew the moment I met him he was the one, and surprise! surprise! I asked him, and he always forever teased me about it, lol. Together we couldn't do anything more than slide our feet across the floor and look stupid, lol, we were very much alike, very much in love. I am proof that marriage can work, if you meet the right person, and sometimes, it is by accident and takes a lifetime, but, I tell the " young" people that. Less are getting married today and I think, that is a mistake. Just my 2 cents worth. :)

I think, I had fun because I experienced something that was fun in my past. I had forgotten that.

I went out today and bought something funny and, I glued them on. Big fluffy fake eyelashes. I tried them out on my son. I made his lunch, sat it down then, I sat down across from him. He looked up, I looked up and then, I heard him say, " what's with the eyelashes?!" LOL. I fluttered them so... like hummingbirds wings...

Next, attempt will be on Chris with an added surprise, I got a pair of "gold" shoes, that woman with the too-tight, too-short Zebra dress was wearing.

And, so far as getting my picture taken? HA. I dare anyone. :)

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sure, next time Sue and I go dancing I'll bring a camera. We went a few weeks ago to the Rocking Horse Barn in Renton. It was good times.
I loved your VFW story, and showed it to Sue. :)

Cookie

Reaction score
Fun may be over, lol. Told the co worker, she wants to go. :) No, no no... Only kidding she can go. I don't see enough of her, lol.

Cookie

Reaction score
Sure, next time Sue and I go dancing I'll bring a camera. We went a few weeks ago to the Rocking Horse Barn in Renton. It was good times.
I loved your VFW story, and showed it to Sue. :)

and, HJ, every single word is the truth, LOL... see, Terry loved it. lol.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks