(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: black slimy mold around faucets

Default black slimy mold around faucets

I have City water and I get a black slimy build up. I think it is mold but I don't know how or why it is happening. I can clean my toilet and within 2 days I get black specks in the bowl. The shower head has black slimy buildup after only a few days. I have a drippy nozzle on a fancy shower head system that get the slimy black build up. Where the water drips onto the shower stall floor there is a slimy pink buildup.

I am confused because we have City water that I would think had enough chlorine in it to kill just about any thing. do you have any idea what this might be.

Some times our water slightly smells mildewy also. I am greatly allergic to mold and I don't know if that is what this is. But if it is I need to take care of it.
    Can anyone help me.

Thanks

Unhappy Black mold

Sorry I don't have an answer, but I am working on this myself. I have consulted with several water people and no answer yet. Your description of the problem, is the first time in a year of searching, that sounds exactly like mine, including the pink stain and everything else, toilets ets. Its now even in our ice cubes. I like you am highly allergic to mold and do suffer from frequent sinus headaches. Let me know if you hear anything and vice versa.

Your pink stain and pink ice cubes are caused by an airborne bacteria Serratia marcescens. It's a tough one to get rid of...

Serratia Marcescens is usually seen (but not limited to) buildings that have had fire restoration. Typically its seen in building that have had flood or fire damage (result of the water used for fire). When the water soaks wood inside the walls and left to sit, the mold begins to grow. It then disperses particalls into the air. These particalls look for water to make their home and grow. This is what causes the pink ring in the toilet and the black "soot" from your faucets.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    Your pink stain and pink ice cubes are caused by an airborne bacteria Serratia marcescens. It's a tough one to get rid of...
    I have this going on in a Master bath and nowhere else in my house. I have never heard of this before nor seen it before. It all makes sense now. A few years ago we had a new ac and swamp cooler put on our roof. Maybe a year later my wife and I were working outside. She pointed to a place high on the block wall and said that it looked wet. It certainly did and I could not find an answer to the problem, it just made no sense at all. We started to remodel that bathroom, when I moved a box that had been setting on a small carpeted area on the floor where a small dressing table was originally built in, the bottom came out and the carpet was wet. No mold, no stink. It was just weird. The guy that installed the swamp cooler had ran the drain to the vent for this bathroom. I knew that and did not give it much thought. I got a flashlight and went into the attic but could not see much of the vent. I moved the drain and shown the light down the vent and there it was!! I just could not believe it. When they installed the vent the pipe was too short. They glued a male adapter on the end and took another short piece of pipe and glued a female adapter on it and screwed it on to make it go through the roof. I was able to pull this short piece of pipe straight up and out through the roof. It looked like the cartoon shotgun blast with the barrel blown out. There was some black mold under the drywall and we abated it as best we could with bleach and let it all air out good for several days once the entire bathroom had been gutted to the block wall. And every since then this pink stuff has been appearing. As soon as my water comes into the house it goes through two one half micron filters (.5), one particulate, one carbon and then it passes through a water softener. I'm sure glad I know the rest of the story.